Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: anxiety and asthma update

salt pipe for asthma and throat issues

Hi
    I have read up about these before and have heard they help not cure things, so i went in to my local health shop yesterday and had a chat with the lady in there and she recommended the salt pipe so i purchased one.
    I was just curious if anyone on here has used or know of anyone that has used one and what the results were?
    many thanks

anxiety and asthma driving me crazy

For weeks i have felt like my throat is tight and i cant breath properly, i have seen a couple different doctors and all have said its my anxiety and asthma working against me. When one starts they both do, my asthma peak flow is ok as is my pulse,bp and oxygen levels.
    Has anyone had or still get this and can recommend any coping tactics or lifestyle changes they made to help this get better?
    thanks

Re: anxiety and asthma driving me crazy

I've also had a flare up of my asthma recently, although this has clearly been linked with a minor cold I've caught.

Was going to ask about your peak flow, but if it's the same as your normal reading, that rules out any sort of bronchoconstriction.

The only other thing that would come to mind (this time of year) is the cold weather. I see you're in the UK as well, and it has been very cold in my part of the country recently. Came in from work tonight (hands purple from the Raynauds!) and lit the fire.

The reason this is important is cold weather can trigger asthma in quite a few people. A tip is, if you're outside in cold weather, before leaving the house wrap a scarf around your face and keep it over your mouth whilst outside.

Then, as I said, I lit the fire tonight (using non-smokeless coal, how bad of me haha) it could also be the smoke in the air contributing to this, especially if you have neighbours lighting their fire or even your own.

AVOID: Smoking (cigarettes, cannabis etc) strong-smelling air fresheners, perfumes, oils creams etc, animals if they trigger you e.g. cats/dogs

A VERY IMPORTANT ONE
    Has your doctor or pharmacist recently reviewed your "inhaler technique"? You'd be surprised at how often most people simply aren't taking their inhaler properly. They're either inhaling too soon, too deeply, not deeply enough etc etc. If you answered NO to this, see your pharmacist tomorrow or as soon as is convenient!

Can't really think of anything else right now. If anything comes to mind, I'll pop back :-)

Good luck

EDIT

I always do this - post my response and then think of a better response after lol. Anyway, some more things that came to mind:

* Avoid red wine, I've found this is a trigger for me and I've heard others report this.
    * Avoid aspirin/ibuprofen: can cause bronchoconstriction in asthmatics, however if you've taken it before without issue, you should be ok

If you have acute asthma e.g. an 'attack' take one puff of salbutamol every 30 to 60 seconds, max. 10 puffs (or as directed on your asthma action plan!). If that doesn't help or you feel worse, call 999. After 15 minutes have passed you can repeat the one puff, every 30-60s max. 10 puffs whilst you wait.
    Last edited by RadioGaGa; 14-12-18 at 23:11.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

anxiety and asthma update

so i have been challenging my thoughts that my breathing is shot, i have started to do some skipping at home. Today i did 4 mins of straight skipping, i dont know if thats a good time or not but my heart rate went up to 155 then within around 5 mins it went down to 102 then dropped even further.

I didnt need to use my rescue inhaler before or after, i am on pred as i have had a flu like bug lately and im still coughing up thick mucus. I am guessing have mucus stuck and coughing will also irritate my airways?? Anyway i have my asthma review tomorrow as its been a month since i was changed from seritide to a fostair inhaler so i will see how it goes.

thanks

Re: anxiety and asthma update

Mucus is very common with asthma, it's a reaction. If you have had a cold virus you will have more mucus and the lungs will be irritated hence more mucus reaction by the asthma. It will sort itself out and you can use/adjust inhalers to help with it.

Well done on challenging yourself. I would only add that since you are ill at the moment, don't overdo it and remember your lungs may not as effective as they will be once you are over that cold hence things will only get better than what you are seeing in your exercise progress.

Re: anxiety and asthma update

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information