Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did a specific event in your life cause your Health Anxiety to start?

Did a specific event in your life cause your Health Anxiety to start?

Hi all. Figured I'd start a discussion with everyone that isn't us worrying about our symptoms (don't worry, I have another post queued up in the future for that).

So for some of us, it may be that we just suddenly started having it, but did any of you start getting Health Anxiety because of a specific event in your life or something happening to "trigger" it?

To ensure that we don't freak each other out, I'll be as generic as possible for me.

Up until I hit 21 I was generally okay. I was a bit of a worrywart but I generally was able to deal with it fine. However, my mother, who was still very young (in her 50s), fell ill with something. Apparently it was something that she got decades ago but decided to rear its ugly head all of a sudden. Our family, not familiar with the way things works, and also without a form of stable insurance (thanks America!) chalked it up to my mother just overworking herself - none of us knew better.

A month later, she ends up going to the doctor because she got worse, and then we learned what it was. Several months of struggle to take care of her and eventually she passes.

During this period I suffer my first panic attack, while also worrying about possibly having all sorts of ailments, but all related to being stressed 100% of the time about my mom's health and my own. My panic attack was so bad I rushed myself to the ER and that was when I was referred to a therapist.

After my mom passed I've been in a constant state of "Could we have done something? Could we have known? How could we have known?" sorta deal - what if we had it checked out earlier?

Ever since then, I had an unreasonable fear of getting some sort of undiagnosed ailment and suffering from it. I was a thorn in my side to my doctors repeatedly and have gone through the whole gamut of worrying about if I had this ailment, or that ailment, or this disease, or that disease. I would find myself constantly going to the doctor and spending entire months to two months worrying about all sorts of conditions. If my doctor told me "Hey, this looks kind of funny, eh, not a big deal" I would end up internalizing it and remembering it for *weeks*.

My current doctor understands my health anxiety and sometimes has to remind me that my HA is making me worry too much, but she does try to accommodate me if I have enough of a concern about something.

What about the rest of you? Did something happen that may have "turned on" the health anxiety switch?

Re: Did a specific event in your life cause your Health Anxiety to start?

I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. I think it’s normal that you worry after suffering a trauma like that. Are you in any sort of therapy?

Yup. Brother passed away very unexpectedly from a (treatable) undiagnosed health issue at 25. Cue my rapidly spiraling health anxiety.

So sorry you went through that! Very scary and sad!

Mine was more a combination of things:

(1) I grew up with a mom who had health anxiety
    (2) I had a traumatic emergency surgery in 2011 that caused a very temporary spike in anxiety
    (3) Giving birth to my daughter sparked severe postpartum anxiety that, because of (1) and (2) manifested in severe health anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. I think it’s normal that you worry after suffering a trauma like that. Are you in any sort of therapy?
    I've been on and off therapy for years. The problem is I could never find a therapist as accommodating as the first one I had. He listened to all my problems and could be called up during reasonable times of the day.

I find that these other therapists take 1-2 days to respond and had unflexible schedules, whereas my old therapist could see me at 6:30 PM in the evening after work, which made it so much easier to get these appointments.

I'm still looking for a good one but I don't know what resource to look up. Is there a "vitals.com" for therapists with patient ratings by area/region? My health insurance has a page for a list of therapists but I hate having to go into these unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightPhoenix View Post
    I'm still looking for a good one but I don't know what resource to look up. Is there a "vitals.com" for therapists with patient ratings by area/region? My health insurance has a page for a list of therapists but I hate having to go into these unknown.
    Yes, Pyschology Today has a great resource for finding therapists. You can search by area and speciality and it'll show what insurance they take, etc...

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:10 ----------

I don't think they have reviews, but there's good info and you can ways Google individual ones to see if there are any reviews

Thanks. I'm not a fan of being sent to "associates" where which therapist I end up with is entirely dependent on the time of day and when I call these folks. I've seen this website but didn't know it was an authorative list for therapists in the US.

Yeah, I found out about it because my friend who is a PhD neuropsychologist told me it's the best place to look. I found my current therapist on here.

But yes, it's still good to some digging about the person. And it depends on so many factors. My first therapist a recommendation from someone and I loved her but hey availability wasn't great. My current on I found on there but it was like you said, they paired me with one who was available. But, I love her! She was new the practice so had a light schedule. I was able to get a regular biweekly appointment and she's always available on email and frequently sends me articles or other things she comes across that remind her of and she thinks may help or be relevant to my anxiety.

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

Sorry for all the typos, I'm on my phone!

I had no specific event I don't think, but as a child I was diagnosed with a heart murmur and sent for an echo. All came back fine, and as I grew up the murmur went away, but I suspect that at least explains why a majority (but not all) of my HA episodes and panics have revolved around heart fears.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yes two things the first post natal depression and the second I had an ectopic pregnancy and ended up seriously poorly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information