Thread: Hello, any insomniacs? Sleep anxiety?

Smile Hello, any insomniacs? Sleep anxiety?

hi everyone! My name is Ashlie and I'm new to the forum, and very glad I found it. I already feel like I'm no longer alone.
    I suffer with anxiety, panic attacks and insomnia induced by a fear of not falling asleep...which it turn stops me from falling asleep. It's so awful, especially trying to hold down my job when I'm pretty much a useless zombie!
    I'm looking for someone who can relate, or can give good advice.
    Please get in touch xx

Re: Hello, any insomniacs? Sleep anxiety?

i suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia and insomia for 8 years now and never get to sleep before 4 am, if you want to chat you can send me a message

Hi Ashlie

I am suffering terrible insomnia for the last 4 months. Like you it is caused by anxiety - if I worry about it I simply don't sleep. Had a hour last night if that!

Just started CBT this morning, hoping it will help!

Ps have been on trazodone for 3 months - it has helped when I haven't been anxious but I don't really recommend it and am now reducing to come off it in a few weeks!

Good luck with your sleep tonight everyone!
    Last edited by Crystalhiggs; 09-06-15 at 15:52. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Believe or not, the easiest way to fall asleep is to do the opposite, not try and it will happen naturally. The more you try, the more stressed you become and don't lay awake, get up and then go back to bed a bit later.

My CBT therapist gave me some good but simple advice yesterday.

Instead of thinking 'what if I don't sleep', think 'how can I relax now'. Not thinking about the rest of the night or the next day. Just breathing exercises and relaxation techniques. And you know what, it worked!

Was out like a light last night, definitely worth trying!! Xx

Doing ok now but suffered badly from insommnia in the past - got so bad my body used to shut down and I'd go into a kind of microsleep standing up....was really odd...I understand the desperation an insomniac feels...I tried visualisation...yoga at 3am.....warm drinks.... no screen time... honestly for me personally it was all psychological - the more scared I was of *not* being able to sleep the harder it was to actually sleep! Try and have your room really dark, hide your clock (sounds simple but it stops you mentally calculating how little you've slept and when you have to get up) and turf out any partner/cat/dog that may normally share your room - nothing more frustrating that hearing snores when you can't sleep yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyMummy View Post
    Doing ok now but suffered badly from insommnia in the past - got so bad my body used to shut down and I'd go into a kind of microsleep standing up....was really odd...I understand the desperation an insomniac feels...I tried visualisation...yoga at 3am.....warm drinks.... no screen time... honestly for me personally it was all psychological - the more scared I was of *not* being able to sleep the harder it was to actually sleep! Try and have your room really dark, hide your clock (sounds simple but it stops you mentally calculating how little you've slept and when you have to get up) and turf out any partner/cat/dog that may normally share your room - nothing more frustrating that hearing snores when you can't sleep yourself!
    Hi, glad you're doing well now! How did you manage to break the cycle? Was it just persisting with all the things you mentioned? Feel like I'm trying everything too but still suffering! Always good to hear from someone that has come out the other side!

Hey, How's everyone doing with their insomnia?

Not so good my end, seem to one good night one bad! But tapering off trazodone so perhaps to be expected. Anyone got a magic wand?

I think insomnia in some form or another is quite common in people suffering with anxiety, partly because it can feel so so difficult to just 'shut off'. Mine gradually got worse and worse up until a point where I would have a panic attack the moment I fell asleep, leading me to stay awake for hours. However, it's not sustainable and unfortunately lack of sleep only makes anxiety worse. Although I'm still not fully over it, I have found several things that massively helped.

1. Chamomile tea 30 minutes before bed
    2. If you go on the App Store, there's an app called "I can, insomnia hypnosis' although it won't work for everyone, it made the world of difference to me!
    3. Try and run through a guided meditation on YouTube with particular emphasis on breathing techniques to help slow down your breathing.

Hope that helps xxx

Thread Information