Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Given meds for Reflux - Allergy and Side effect fear

Re: Given meds for Reflux - Allergy and Side effect fear

I've been itching to reply to this all day, but as I was working I wasn't able to get the time this topic deserves (in work) and also have the comfort of typing such a long reply from my laptop, rather than the mobile version.

Firstly, great posts by Fishman and I agree with all his sentiments - I only want to add some of my own to try and get rid of the stigma that seems to surround these drugs... Not only on here, but on the internet in general.

I've had reflux symptoms since I was a teenager (possibly earlier). I thought it was a normal phenomenon, to be woken up in the middle of the night with a burning gullet and that it happened to everyone. I was about 18 or 19 (we'll say 18 for argument) when I finally went to the GP. I was quickly diagnosed with GORD (GERD in the US) and began Omeprazole. I have never looked back. I'm 26 in just a few weeks time, and I couldn't imagine ever coming off these drugs. My GP is of the same sentiment.

This post is comprised of both my personal and professional view of the PPIs.

Every day these drugs are handed out. Many many times per day. They're excellent for the following conditions:
    * Long term reflux (e.g. GORD)
    * Gastroprotection (i.e. protecting the stomach) (e.g. the patient is on steroids/NSAIDs etc)
    * Eradication of H. Pylori
    * Healing of stomach ulcers
    * Prevention and treatment of erosivive Oesophagitis
    * Treatment of upper GI bleeds
    * Dyspepsia

IME, the majority of people over the age of about 50 are on them even if it's just a "when required" dose (pretty pointless - these drugs don't work instantly, there are far better 'rescue' medications for reflux, but some doctors still insist on "Take one capsule when required"). They're particularly common in those with polypharmacy going on (e.g. they're taking several+ medications).

Vitamin B12 Deficiency
    Yes the PPIs can cause this - but it's not exactly a life threatening situation to be in. Vitamin B12 is absoirbed because it is removed from food by stomach acid - when you're on PPIs, if your intake isn't great, your blood levels of B12 may decrease. Simple remedy? Take a supplement. Personally, I sometimes take a supplement, although on the whole I don't bother (I'm lazy). And I'm not that worried about it. My father was started on Zantac (ranitidine) in the mid 1980s, switched to PPIs in the early 2000s. His reflux has always been a tad refractory (e.g. difficult to treat) so his maintenance dose of Omeprazole is 40mg (usual maintenance is 20mg). Again, he has had no issues whatsoever. He, like I, loves indian food - if he didn't take Omeprazole, he simply couldn't eat it (or much else!) so there's an overriding "quality of life" issue here. The benefits in his case, as for the vast majority of people taking these meds, FAR outweighs the risks they present.

My Aunt (an overweight smoker) has suffered from reflux for a few years now. A while back, my mum and her went on holiday and a mixture of all the alcohol and exotic food upset her stomach and she was being sick, with reflux, and it ruined the holiday. She saw her GP, who prescribed PPIs. They went on holiday again and there was no issue with reflux. Although being overweight and smoking are risk factors for reflux, they're also risk factors for cancer of the oesophagus. So is reflux. So let's try and reduce the risk of the latter and give her a PPI, and of course, improve her quality of life.

I read on the Patient UK Forums a few years ago a case where an anonymous gentleman posted a "story" about a "lady he worked with" having cancer of the oesophagus diagnosed (and subseqeuntly dying from it). He believed the PPIs had caused and masked the cancer. Assuming this story were true, emotions can often override sense and people look for something to blame. However, it has not been unknown for "natural, herbal remedy" seeking people to infiltrate forums and post rubbish about "Big Pharma" in order to scare people off taking drugs, and instead resort to "natural therapies". Important Point: NATURAL DOES NOT MEAN SAFE.

The gist of his story was this lady complained of headaches. After OTC ibuprofen and paracetamol did no good, her GP referred her for an MRI, where a primary was found in her oesophagus with a secondary deposit was found in the brain. She then passed away not long after, and he was convinced the PPIs (he did not say which) had caused the cancer and masked its symptoms.

1. He made no mention of her social history. Was she a smoker? Drinker? Diet? The former two being powerful risk factors for this disease, the latter less so.
    2. To further "back up" his "findings", he mentioned that a "neighbours friend" or a "friends neighbour" (I can't remember which) started taking PPIs, and then three years later needed her gallbladder removed. Again, he was convinced this was caused by the PPIs.
    3. PPIs could not mask a tumour obstructing the oesophagus. It could reduce the reflux caused by a tumour, but not swallowing difficulties which are a far more common symptom. PPIs have been known to mask but NOT cause cancer of the stomach. Taking PPIs is NOT a risk factor for stomach cancer, so this should NOT concern anyone - but anyone with other risk factors for stomach cancer e.g. smoking, pickled foods, red meat consumption etc should look at modifying those risk factors.

I mentioned the above because I've seen a LOT of similar scare stories on the internet without any good scientific backing. But, sadly, people will believe what they read and throw the PPIs out, suffer with the reflux and then potentially end up with oesophageal cancer caused by excess reflux! When a PPI could have prevented it! It's the same reasons some people end up suffering strokes and heart attacks, because they read negative (and in most cases, bullsh*t opinions) of non-qualified people online and don't take their medication.

I, for one, can never imagine myself stopping my PPIs. I can eat spicy food, I can eat a more varied diet and I can sleep soundly - key ingredients, IMO, to a satisfying and healthy life (maybe not the spicy part!).

Of course, it is up to the person prescribed the medication to decide whether or not they take it. The internet is a great source of information, and so long as they base their decision on sound advice, so be it. But PPIs do NOT deserve the stigma they seem to accrued in recent times. There's simply not the scientific backing for it.

Just my 2 cents

Good luck
    Last edited by RadioGaGa; 14-06-19 at 23:52.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    I, for one, can never imagine myself stopping my PPIs. I can eat spicy food, I can eat a more varied diet and I can sleep soundly - key ingredients, IMO, to a satisfying and healthy life (maybe not the spicy part!).
    Great post RGG! I LOVE spicy food! After my treatment, even a tiny bit of salt or pepper felt like I was eating Dave's Insanity Sauce! Now, 6 years out, I can eat hot Thai and always have Tony's seasoning and hot sauce I add to my food. The things that get me are tomato sauce, pizza etc. I still can have those types of foods but I pay for it with a swig of Mylanta Otherwise, the foods I avoid following the FODMAP diet (onions, garlic etc.) practically eliminate the reflux.

At my last physical last month we discussed my meds and physical conditions. I'm 60 and have some prostate issues creeping in. Urinary difficulties etc. The doc prescribed me a med for it (Flomax, which ultimately didn't help) I complained about how many meds I already take and he said... "I know its not ideal but just be thankful we have the science to make meds to help us."

That's how you have to look at it. If this were 100 year ago, I wouldn't be here and reflux would be a nagging problem for many people. Thank goodness for medical technology!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post

Of course, it is up to the person prescribed the medication to decide whether or not they take it. The internet is a great source of information, and so long as they base their decision on sound advice, so be it. But PPIs do NOT deserve the stigma they seem to accrued in recent times. There's simply not the scientific backing for it.
    This is the bit that bothers me. No scientific backing simply means that no one body has pumped the millions of dollars into a research study following the use of PPI's over multiple decades. Lack of evidence often means lack of research.

I'm not a conspiracy, and I'm not suggesting the PPI's directly cause hideous diseases, but they work with brute force by suppressing an important bodily function. It's beyond my comprehension why people would continue to eat foods that they know trigger problems, and then take a pill to suppress the symptoms identifying the problem. Not when a more sensible eating regime and a proven, safe remedy exists. ACV has been used for centuries, literally.

We're talking about a drug that's 20-30 years old in use, there is not way that long term use can be assessed. We DO know that the stomach acid in the digestive tract plays several roles in the body, and hammering it into submission is not something I choose to do given the alternatives. I don't need to cite examples to illustrate my points, it's just basic common sense.

Again, scientific backing requires massively expensive research, which has not been done. A lack of evidence often means nobody has looked. Business.

I prefer to take responsibility for my own health than pop a pill for every symptom I wish to keep feeding.

I was prescribed omeprazole last year when I had heartburn and reflux symptoms. People are often prescribed it with other medicines that may cause nausea.

I was also nervous of taking it and it took me a few days to work up the courage. I took it first thing in the morning about half an hour before eating, and I noticed no side effects at all for the whole time I was in it (nearly 2 months). They prescribe this for pregnant women and breastfeeders. You can even buy it in supermarkets.

It can take up to 2 weeks to work. I didn’t really notice much of a difference to be honest and if I get reflux now I tend to go for gaviscon. However, it helps so many people and I would really recommend trying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This does get better right?

Surely this cant be right.
    I'm on my 5th day, constant burning throat, burning stomach, sore throat, burping, flatulance, bloating, feeling sick pale stools that float

God knows what damage this is doing to my esophagus

I was at the out of hours surgery again earlier, and I just haven't stopped crying all day.

I managed to convince myself to take a tums despite the fear of allergy. It did nothing at all.

I feel like I'm never going to get better and I'm just scared. Nowhere to turn. Medical professionals wont entertain me and my whole family hates me I'm pretty sure. I keep snapping at people.

I'm having some really bad thoughts at the moment, not really seeing the point anymore.

I want to fight the anxiety but I cant get past this

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM1994 View Post
    This does get better right?
    Did you start the medication?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

What did the out of hours surgery say?

Did you start the omeprazole?

Sorry for the late response. Been going through the emotions this morning.
    Was so painful I ended up going to A&E they wernt concerned about the extra symptoms but the lady sat there with me for an hour and forced me to take it the Lansoprazole

She just changed my life, this fear has been my whole life for years.

I know I've still got to conquer it and theres a long way to to, I have to take another one tomorrow for a start lol.

Now it's just worrying about potential side effects.

Also, how long did the meds take you all to kick in and start working? This burning is painful!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM1994 View Post
    how long did the meds take you all to kick in and start working? This burning is painful!
    It can take up to a couple of weeks to kick in but most get relief sooner. Remember, your diet plays a large role in this so look into the FODMAP diet, keep a journal of foods that aggravate your stomach and adjust accordingly.

Positive thoughts

Ah that’s brilliant that you took one and that they were so helpful at the hospital. Did it help at all?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information