Thread: GI wont do more tests, freaking out

GI wont do more tests, freaking out

Hi everyone,

So last year I started having really weird symptoms with my stomach and bowels-heartburn, diarrhea, overall not feeling well.

Never lost weight though-just kept gaining if anything, lol.

My GI doctor told me from the start she thought it was IBS, I was always worried it was either colon cancer or stomach cancer. She did a colonoscopy, endoscopy, and CT scan of my GI and said it's IBS- she did find an innocent polyp in both my colon and stomach and gastritis in my tummy though ,which she said it was not anything to worry about.

I'm not scared of colon cancer anymore but I am afraid it's stomach cancer- I went to see her yesterday and told her about my indigestion/heartburn but forgot to tell her about my tummy pain. I asked her if she thought stomach cancer would have happened within my last endoscopy (7 months ago) she said no... I asked her if she could please do another endoscopy just to be sure and she said absolutely not.

UGH! I feel like most people would be happy with that kind of response-like oh, she's not worried, cool-but I am scared that she missed something the first time and I didn't want to tell her that... I've read stories online about people getting missed things on endoscopies and they make it seem like it's more common than I thought.

I don't know if I should get a second opinion or not or what I should do.. been going to therapy for my anxiety but I feel like it only helps sometimes... I don't know how to let go of this... I feel like I really have it this time and she's not listening

Re: GI wont do more tests, freaking out

Our anxiety is always going to convince us that "this is the time we really have it", thats just part of HA, if you've had all of those tests within the last year and your doctor is saying you are fine then you have to fight through that anxiety to accept that you're okay. Trust me, I have HA so I know that it's eaiser said than done, but your symptoms sounds pretty textbook for IBS so that fact coupled with all of the negative test results indicates pretty strongly that you are fine

I know that its tempting to get a second opinion but you have to remember this is an anxiety issue, odds are the second doctor will find nothing as well and if you don't treat the anxiety you will end up right back in this spot again, I would bring this specific situation up with your therapist and see if they have any insight for how to help you through the what ifs

I too suffer with a range of digestive complaints and I’ve had every test under the sun and nothing of note to be found. I have reflux and ibs. Both seem to come and go in what I call flare ups. I understand how hard it is to accept that despite all your suffering there is actually nothing wrong with you and you can’t help but think they e missed something. I find it helpful to look back through my consultant letters (every time I see him he sends a letter to my gp and I get a copy too). It helps to read that nothing has been found and that my problems are not of concern. I also then remember that what I’m feeling I’ve had before many months ago and nothing has changed/got worse in that time. Cancer doesnt come and go nor does it stand still. My gastric guy is determined to make me more comfortable and has now referred me to a dietician to help control my symptoms through diet. Maybe this is something you could ask about?

Quote Originally Posted by jonur View Post

I don't know if I should get a second opinion or not or what I should do.. been going to therapy for my anxiety but I feel like it only helps sometimes... I don't know how to let go of this... I feel like I really have it this time and she's not listening
    And then what, a third opinion....a fourth?

The way to let it go is to keep practising letting it go.

I guarantee you 100% if you get a second opinion you will find something else to worry about.

Thank you for the responses, guys.

I'm trying really hard to stay strong.

I just wanted to come on here to send you a quick message.

I am in your shoes exactly, and let me tell you, no amount of endoscopes will help. I developed stomach issues 2 years ago, completely out of the blue.

Convinced it is stomach cancer, I have had 4 endoscopes, 2 barium swallows, 2 CT scans, 2 MRI's, multiple ultrasounds and none of it has made my fear gone. I have done the same thing as you, with looking up the statistics of cancers missed on endoscopes and regret doing this!

Stomach cancer is slow moving and take many years to develop to the stage where it causes symptoms, so you have NOT got that! This is why your Dr will not order another one.
    You have Gastritis which is inflammation (not cancer) and can be caused by a several different things. Gastritis can come and go and hopefully your Dr gave you some meds for it. As you've had an endoscopy they probably tested for H-Pylori, a bacterium which can get in the stomach and cause gastritis and ulcers. It can cause all sorts of stomach symptoms as well.

It would be worth making inquiries about this and having the test for it. If it tests positive there is treatment which can clear it up.

---------- Post added at 03:30 ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyg89 View Post
    I just wanted to come on here to send you a quick message.

I am in your shoes exactly, and let me tell you, no amount of endoscopes will help. I developed stomach issues 2 years ago, completely out of the blue.

Convinced it is stomach cancer, I have had 4 endoscopes, 2 barium swallows, 2 CT scans, 2 MRI's, multiple ultrasounds and none of it has made my fear gone. I have done the same thing as you, with looking up the statistics of cancers missed on endoscopes and regret doing this!
    Endoscopies these days are incredibly thorough plus they take random biopsies (whether they see inflammation or not) plus testing for H-Pylori (bacterium).

I'm glad you see that your searching is feeding your anxiety and will certainly NOT help jonur who also has the same issues as you!

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Stomach cancer is slow moving and take many years to develop to the stage where it causes symptoms, so you have NOT got that! This is why your Dr will not order another one.
    You have Gastritis which is inflammation (not cancer) and can be caused by a several different things. Gastritis can come and go and hopefully your Dr gave you some meds for it. As you've had an endoscopy they probably tested for H-Pylori, a bacterium which can get in the stomach and cause gastritis and ulcers. It can cause all sorts of stomach symptoms as well.

It would be worth making inquiries about this and having the test for it. If it tests positive there is treatment which can clear it up.

---------- Post added at 03:30 ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 ----------

Endoscopies these days are incredibly thorough plus they take random biopsies (whether they see inflammation or not) plus testing for H-Pylori (bacterium).

I'm glad you see that your searching is feeding your anxiety and will certainly NOT help jonur who also has the same issues as you!

@WiseMonkey thank you for that information! I was scared of H. Pylori and my GI said she had biopsied for it, and that it came back negative... and I was doubtful of that ONLY because I read afterward you're not supposed to be taking Nexium or anything during the test, and I wasn't told that- I had taken 1 Nexium about 4 days before-I asked my GI about this but she said 1 wouldn't make a difference... but I also forgot to tell her I was on probiotics for a month and I don't know if that could hide H Pylori... I just feel like I have so many doubts on it and feel like "one more test" would put my mind at ease but I know that's just the anxiety talking and I don't want to feed it..

Thread Information