Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fire Safety tests How Safe Are High Rises A Tonight Special

Re: Fire Safety tests How Safe Are High Rises A Tonight Special

Interestingly over 4,000 doors (in it's social housing) across the borough in London re the Grenfell disaster nearly a year ago are going to be replaced at a cost of £3 million the thing is when Grenfell was refurbished a couple of years before the fire last year fire doors and flat doors was replaced in the block, but these door didn't meet the 30 min requirement to hold fire back in fact these doors only held fire back for 15 mins so again in my view this also helped the fire spread quickly.

The other disturbing thing after the disaster the council went off the radar and left it to communities and charities to help the victims I find this a heartless act but thank goodness for the general public and these charities, we need heads to roll and criminal proceedings to take place lets hope this happens and soon. What do others think? ATB
    Last edited by Bigboyuk; 30-05-18 at 15:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    The other disturbing thing after the disaster the council went off the radar and left it to communities and charities to help the victims I find this a heartless act but thank goodness for the general public and these charities, we need heads to roll and criminal proceedings to take place lets hope this happens and soon. What do others think? ATB
    The media go into a frenzy over s big event and months later they couldn't care less. Governments, councils, etc know it will go away as the media get bored with it.

The same in the US. Mass shooting, media frenzy...2 weeks later no one gives a monkeys.

Ongoing governance is needed. If not, all a council like this will do is address the issue the big boss is jumping up & down about at the moment and sod the rest of the issues until one of them gets the boss jumping up & down. Typical firefighting attitude of large organisations.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    The media go into a frenzy over s big event and months later they couldn't care less. Governments, councils, etc know it will go away as the media get bored with it.

The same in the US. Mass shooting, media frenzy...2 weeks later no one gives a monkeys.

Ongoing governance is needed. If not, all a council like this will do is address the issue the big boss is jumping up & down about at the moment and sod the rest of the issues until one of them gets the boss jumping up & down. Typical firefighting attitude of large organisations.
    Yes so true I bet some of them in the council are bricking it tbh as the enquires continues and enters a new phase. This is what we and foremost all the victims and surviours of that tower block need to know who signed off the refurbishment work, was cost a factor when buying substandard fire doors on the previous refurb? And have lessons been really learned after this fire. and why was a disabled resident given a flat on the 18th floor (irregardless of any lack of fire safety arrangements) it seems a very bad decision on some ones part. I will be watching this enquire as it un folds. ATB

The fact finding phase has now started in the enquires so far no one has admitted responsibility and I doubt they will this doesn't seem fair or right the surviours must continue to fight their corner and get justice for their loved ones that perished on that night if the fire. I expect sadly many who should face a mass murder charge will GET off lightly or not even face court. It's learned from the LFB that they told people to stay in their flats 30 mins after the fire had started by then it was too late to save many of the victims. so reopening this debate what do others think and what should happen now? ATB

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

I have just watched BBC news at one and have sadly learned the company Rydon who supplied the panels for the refurb of the tower block didn't warn the council or housing management for the block that dangerous panels were being installed. The council says this should have happened, but actually the council are also at fault here by signing the work off so imho all are to blame, I am also saddened that it could take up to several years to bring companies to justice and other agencies more should be done to speed this process up what a mess this is turning out to be. ATB

But were the panels considered dangerous prior to their fitting? If so, how the hell are they not removed from the market by the authorities? Or were the manufacturer producing products that fail safety standards?

Protection of the public is a task that falls to public bodies who we pay to do so. They set & control safety regs. They should be signing off on major works or works affecting safety. They are quick enough to involve themselves in matters of heritage or someone building a slightly too large shed or checking works after planning permission is issued.

If the manufacturer makes something that regulations state is legal then the regs are the bigger problem since every manufacturer could legally be doing the same. Best practice is nice but minimum standards and cost are often a driver to their use.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    But were the panels considered dangerous prior to their fitting? If so, how the hell are they not removed from the market by the authorities? Or were the manufacturer producing products that fail safety standards?

Protection of the public is a task that falls to public bodies who we pay to do so. They set & control safety regs. They should be signing off on major works or works affecting safety. They are quick enough to involve themselves in matters of heritage or someone building a slightly too large shed or checking works after planning permission is issued.

If the manufacturer makes something that regulations state is legal then the regs are the bigger problem since every manufacturer could legally be doing the same. Best practice is nice but minimum standards and cost are often a driver to their use.
    Tbh Terry I don't know what Iam saying is these panels were made of polyethelene which isn't not fire retardant and highly flammable, saying that they were employed on the out side of the building, so would they need to be fire retardant?? What do the current fire regs say on this, do you know is there a link to these regs? Rydon the manufacturer off the panels are very quite and haven't spoke out about these panels. Cost was a deciding factor on the refurb of the tower (I know we are covering old ground here again )
    Some one in Council HQ rubbered stamped the cladding that was to be used and the rest is history, same with fire doors to each flat and corridor doors. I caught the last 20 mins of a ITV doc last night Grenfell First 24 hrs and at the end some words on the screen said even after a year later 297 tower blocks still has the same cladding on that was fitted to Grenfell this is truly unbelievable after what happened at Grenfell my question is Why??? ATB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information