Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fear of brain eating amoeba

Re: Fear of brain eating amoeba

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Yeah but fear doesn't always work like that. Look how many rabies posts we've had for the UK and it's very rare here.

It would seem logical to suggest it's more likely for Americans but if you look at the history of these threads they are rare before this year so whilst it might look like a snowball effect now how did it start when you could barely find a thread about it? And if you Google this my money is many sites popping up a long time before NMP in the results.

It points to an external factor for me. New people coming here after they've read it elsewhere.

And why no other countries? That's another reason I think it's more likely a media thing e.g. articles about swimming in lakes and amoebas in traditional Daily Mail fashion. Maybe our American members can tell us?
    True I was going to say exactly what you have said it's external coverage which would include SM sites and Google is bound to have not helped one bit then they see search results and bang NMP has quite a few threads on this very problem. Yes would be interesting to see what our American members have to say on this. ATB

But this is a UK forum and look how the members raising this all seem to be in the US. Why not UK members?

That tells me it's not about NMP.
    Not entirely true. Yes, the majority of BEA posters are Americans. But there have been at least two posters on this from Europe, including one from Denmark who seriously believed that brain eating amoebas exists in swimming pools. In SWIMMING POOLS! IN DENMARK! Which tells a lot how little HA has to do with knowledge and rationality.

I'm from Chicago USA, I had never heard of this thing until being on here. The first few times I thought it was troll posting! That being said I don't watch the news, almost ever, in recent years.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    True I was going to say exactly what you have said it's external coverage which would include SM sites and Google is bound to have not helped one bit then they see search results and bang NMP has quite a few threads on this very problem. Yes would be interesting to see what our American members have to say on this. ATB
    There's a current report circulating about finding this at one place in the US that started 4 days ago. Not sure before that.

I have been looking at similar threads at the bottom of this thread and they are all from 2018 and from Feb to June so only a matter of 4 months ATB

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

There's a current report circulating about finding this at one place in the US that started 4 days ago. Not sure before that.
    Was this a news or SM report Terry? Any link to share? ATB

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid-viking View Post
    Not entirely true. Yes, the majority of BEA posters are Americans. But there have been at least two posters on this from Europe, including one from Denmark who seriously believed that brain eating amoebas exists in swimming pools. In SWIMMING POOLS! IN DENMARK! Which tells a lot how little HA has to do with knowledge and rationality.
    But why mostly Americans is my question? There are far more UK members and not one has raised this from what I can see. It's more a US thing but spikes like this are often media driven so I'm wary of saying it's about NMP.

I can remember 1 from Denmark and you posting on it now you mention it. Like you say - in swimming pools - which won't happen with treated water.

Maybe a bit of both but it doesn't work that it's NMP for new members if they aren't watchers who sign up.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

I have been looking at similar threads at the bottom of this thread and they are all from 2018 and from Feb to June so only a matter of 4 months ATB

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

Was this a news or SM report Terry? Any link to share? ATB
    When I did a search it showed that spike compared to a few cases in 2017 and not much before then.

I'm not going to link on here, Dave. It's found very easily via Google though and the Daily Mail have picked it up. It doesn't explain the rest before though.

More than one factor is in play. It's a summer bug and I wonder what "health advice" may be popping up in the US that we wouldn't see.

There's plenty I never heard of until I joined this place. NMP is definitely a knowledge base for stuff you won't have heard before and that's not good for HAers but that's just forums for you.

Same said here by NervUs who's been through it:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...=218569&page=2

We see some impossible scenarios on here where facts don't even come into it but it's interesting with this one that we haven't seen one in the UK, given the site being more of us, even though the conditions are likely not right given how things just stick with some regardless of logic.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 18-06-18 at 14:17.

To be fair, my fear did start after reading a post about someone who snorted water from a pool as well, and so now I got the same fear as well. At first, when I read it, I wasn't afraid or anything, but after reading about this BEA, I started to fear it a lot, and so in HA, no matter how much logic is applied to a situation, if the fear is stronger, it'll always end up winning. That's why I freaked out so badly after learning about this terrible disease and thinking that it could affect me. Since yesterday, I've been taking this more calmly, but I still feel like the fear will go on throughout this week (because it takes 2-15 days for symptoms to appear and it's only been 6 days for me).

Quote Originally Posted by HelloPanda23 View Post
    To be fair, my fear did start after reading a post about someone who snorted water from a pool as well, and so now I got the same fear as well. At first, when I read it, I wasn't afraid or anything, but after reading about this BEA, I started to fear it a lot, and so in HA, no matter how much logic is applied to a situation, if the fear is stronger, it'll always end up winning. That's why I freaked out so badly after learning about this terrible disease and thinking that it could affect me. Since yesterday, I've been taking this more calmly, but I still feel like the fear will go on throughout this week (because it takes 2-15 days for symptoms to appear and it's only been 6 days for me).
    Yes but also to be fair this the (your) HA telling you through news and SM sites, Dr Google it feeds the dragon, I guarantee you haven't got BEA and could lay all my savings on this, so basically it's down to treating one's HA this is the real cause, does this make sense to you?ATB
    Last edited by Bigboyuk; 18-06-18 at 17:07.

Yes but also to be fair this the (your) HA telling you through news and SM sites, Dr Google it feeds the dragon, I guarantee you haven't got BEA and could lay all my savings on this, so basically it's down to treating one's HA this is the real cause, does this make sense to you?ATB
    I know. I'm just scared and that's all. If I'm alive by the end of this week, I'm going to dismiss my fear of this disease. Especially since it's impossible for me to get this disease from a pool that is salt water and chloronated, at a temp of 86.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloPanda23 View Post
    If I'm alive by the end of this week, I'm going to dismiss my fear of this disease. Especially since it's impossible for me to get this disease from a pool that is salt water and chloronated, at a temp of 86.
    So knowing it's impossible, why not dismiss it now? Respectfully, it's ludicrous to allow yourself to torture yourself for the rest of the week knowing what you know. Unless you like feeling like poo...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information