Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to stay calm whilst waiting for tests?

Re: How to stay calm whilst waiting for tests?

Wonderful and heartfelt advice from everyone on here..

Best of luck today, Spacebunny!

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    This may help you, it helped me.

So much focus is on 'what if it is, IF it is thats the worst thing ever, I could die, hope its not, what if it is?'. A couple of people (I've had cancer, 2 years 8 months ago now) made me confront it in a more healthy way whilst waiting for regular test results. I didn't thank them for it at the time LOL Many people did the usual 'Oh it won't be...don't worry' routine, but that doesn't help as your mind instantly goes to 'but it COULD be'. Two people in my life took a different approach (and apologies for those of you who have read this set of words a few times before).
    Those two people said 'it might be, theres no amount of worry that can change the situation.....but IF it is we will deal with it'. One of those people was the consultant in charge of my cancer care. It removed a little of the fear of the worst possible outcome in my mind. I try and apply the same now to my regular tests, although I won't deny I get in a mess about them; I tell myself 'things could reccur, but they will deal with it again as they did last time'.

Of course you don't want to find out you have something that needs treatment, but that IS why we have tests and scans done. We have them done not just to find out there is nothing to be worried about, but also to find out that there are early changes that can be TREATED. I am not saying you have cancer, or trying to trigger you, but acceptance of the situation and that there may be something (hopefully benign) that needs treating is a better way to go on these scans.
    I think this approach really does give you some degree of power back over whatever you are facing.

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the support it means so much.

My pelvic and renal/bladder ultrasound was clear ... however I still have blood in my wee (++ on dipstick)... it's been a month and a half since the first dipstick test. I definitely still need to have an examination under anaesthetic... but for now I'm tentatively reassured.

Bring on the 19th December!

Hurrah!!! That is great news! Have a relaxing evening
    Xx

Good stuff !!!!!!!

Today is the day for my cystoscopy and examination under gA. I have done brilliantly in managing my anxiety!I did Google at the start but stopped because after I found positive news and left it at that. Other people seem more worried than me! Wish me luck! Xxx

Hey spacebunny, of course wishing the very best of fortune today. You HAVE definitely done really well managing this, I'm really impressed, not even any fearful posts on this thread. x

Best of luck, Spacebunny!

Good luck from me as well and well done on managing your anxiety so brilliantly!

Please let us know how you get on when you feel up to it? xx

Quote Originally Posted by spacebunnyx View Post
    Does anyone have any non-medication tips for getting through it/reducing anxiety?
    What helps me is knowing that if there is a problem, it will be identified and taken care of. You are already there, you have taken the steps, now it is just a matter of a few days to hear back. You are already in good hands, the process has started. Whatever it is, a few days or even a couple of weeks isn't going to make a difference. But there is no reason to worry, if there is anything bad the docs will get on it ASAP. It's not like you are procrastinating and delaying care.

Regarding benzos, I personally prefer to steer clear, despite that I have tons of anxiety and panic. That stuff has potential to cause some significant damage. I am not saying that everyone who takes it will have problems, I am just saying that there is a tangible potential, so why take those chances? Who needs benzos addiction on top of everything else?

Hi everyone, so I had it all done today... Had a bladder biopsy as it was very inflamed and that's what's causing bleeding... Also have a heck of a lot of scar tissue and other gynae things going on which is what is causing the pelvic pain ..... But nothing obviously sinister. Glad I know now. Xxx

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information