Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood infection, sepsis fear

Blood infection, sepsis fear

So I'm in the hospital because my gastroparesis is very bad and I lost a lot of weight. I had a PICC line and was on TPN (IV nutrition). The last few days I have been spiking fevers and the blood cultures came back positive so out comes the Picc line and off of my nutrition. I'm scared that this will turn into sepsis even though I am on antibiotics. Everything that can go wrong does. I am waiting for a J tube and this is going to add 2 weeks to my hospital stay because of the antibiotics (My stay was estimated to be a month). Grr scared, anxious and frustrated.

Re: Blood infection, sepsis fear

Dude! Dang! Sorry to hear this. To say that sucks is an understatement. Those three emotions are totally normal under those circumstances. Hang in there, you're in the best place to be and they're keeping an eye on you. Feel better soon!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Sorry to hear you're not good, Caper, but as Fish says, you're in the best place for treatment right now. With all the ABs you're receiving, I would think it's highly unlikely you'll get sepsis. Concentrate on your recovery and keep us posted.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thanks. Just so frustrated. I have been here since a week ago Tuesday. Getting this PICC was an adventure. The radiologist first tried my right arm but had to abort half way in as my vein had a blockage so ultimately had to put ot in my left. The initial poke is very painful. I know PICC line infections are not uncommon and this was my 3rd PICC so my luck ran out. They are going to insert another line but don't know where as my right is out of order. It took 5 pokes to get an IV for my antibiotics as my veins are horrible and during my first infusion my arm started swelling so I lost that IV. Not looking forward to getting poked again. I just want my J tube so I can get on with my life but they won't do it until the infection is clear and I gain more weight. I know sepsis is far fetched as they know what bacteria it is so they are giving me the correct antibiotic but I'm still quite worried.

Of course you're worried and you must be very fed up stuck in hospital being monitored and just waiting for the next painful procedure..You have had such bad luck with your health, Caper but you keep going and endure test after test trying to manage what must be very complex conditions. My son was born without an oesophagus so I have some idea as to how challenging having gastroparesis must be and how complicated it must be to live with it and maintain weight.
    I think you're pretty safe on the sepsis front but you just need some good fortune now and for things to go well for you for the rest of your hospital stay.
    Please keep us posted and just vent when you're feeling low?

Sending you a big one of these and some of these

From reading about your health in the past I've always had the impression you go through a hell of a lot on top of the anxiety.

Vent all you want on here or just have a chat or a laugh. Whatever helps get your mind off being stuck in there.

Hey man, hang in there. I have learned that anxiety and fear do have a legitimate place. I would agree with the others who have said that it is not out of line to be afraid when dealing with this sort of thing. This is not a symptom you are making up in your mind, this is a legitimate medical issue, but you are under the care of good doctors, presumably, and closely watched, so try to give over some of that worry to those who are taking care of you.

Sorry you are having a rough go of it, be well and stay strong!

I wish there was more of a show of support on here for those who have genuine medical issues and an anxiety disorder to contend with on top of all the physical stuff.

It doesn't really happen.

Hey there Caper. I sure hope you’re having a better day today! I’m sure you must be nervous, as you have a genuine medical issue. You’ve always been so supportive to folks on here, and I wish some more would post here to offer you the same support! We are here for you. You’re in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there and please keep us posted!

You really go through it Caper. As others have said you're in the best place.

All the very best to you!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information