Thread: Low grade fever and night sweats

Low grade fever and night sweats

Hi,

This is my first post in here and I would like to say that I'm really scared :/

I think I do have a health anxiety although it never came up in a meeting with a doctor and I've never visited a psychiatrist...

I think it all started after my daughter was born... First I was convinced that I have something in my throat, I visited many doctors and eventually it was nothing.

Then I felt something in my chest, I got terrified, went to do an x-ray... and it turned out to be just the xiphoid bone.

Then I had something with my stomach... I did gastroscopy and colonoscopy and they found nothing so they diagnosed my with IBS

About a month ago I had blood from my mouth, I was convinced that I have an oral cancer.... but after visiting the dentist it turned out to be a slight gum problem that was fixed by a medical mouth wash

well.... you got the point now of who am I....

So what's happening now is the following:

About week an a half ago I was feeling leg chills and intermittent fatigue and couple of days later I felt really tired and my body temperature was 37.2 when my normal body temperature is 36.6-36.8.
    The next day I had a sore throat and I went to the doctor. I told her the symptoms and he said that it's a virus and many of people now have it.
    She sent me to do some blood tests and most of them are already back and look fine (monocytes and glucose are a little out of their normal rates)

All of this days I had this low-grade fever except once when it got to 38

So now here I am... about 5-6 days with this low-grade fever, weakness, cough, dry throat and night sweats...
    Of course I went to DR. Google and searched the symptoms that said that it might be Lymphoma....
    Now I know that viral infections may cause this long lasting low-grade fever and the night sweats, plus I did't feel any swollen lymph nodes at all but I can't stop thinking of Lymphoma...

Can you please somehow help me relax and tell me what to do next?
    Should I ask the doc for more tests? should I just wait? Can a viral infection last more that 1 week with the symptoms I mentioned above? Can I cause the night sweats, the low-grade fever and the weakness myself by being constantly anxious?

Please help...

Thanks,
    Max

Re: Low grade fever and night sweats

Quote Originally Posted by max86 View Post

Can you please somehow help me relax and tell me what to do next?
    The first thing to do is never, ever google symptoms. Whatever symptom you put into Google could be a symptom of something fatal, anything.

The next thing to do is nothing. Just rest. It can take weeks for a virus to fully pass, especially if you're stressing yourself out trying to convince yourself you're dying.

Your Doctor has told you what it is. That's all you need to know.

Oh, and if you didn't catch it first time......NEVER Google.

Thanks for the reply mate
    These kind of replies put smile on my face and make my stress level go down

As my health anxiety worsen over the years I think I should get help and stop fighting it myself...

As I'm new to this (Admitting that I have an issue) can you recommend me some online thing like a group chat with people with the same issues or an 1 on 1 therapist...

I know that I can go and see a psychologist in my town but I find it more helpful if there is a group of people having the same issue as I do.

Thanks again,
    Max

---------- Post added at 13:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Is this low grade fever and the night sweats normal?
    It's lasting 5-6 days... And it's really freaks me out...

Are you people sure that it could be virus?
    How long this low grade fever can last??

Welcome, sorry you have to be here, but that said, it is really refreshing seeing someone new to the group acknowledging their anxiety and being ready and willing to face it head on.

I would recommend seeing the psychologist and learning some cognitive behavioral therapy. We are here to chat with you as a collective whole, and certainly here to help prop you up as best we can when things are tough, but you will have to certainly do the heavy lifting yourself.

In my experience recovering from this can be done, but it is not easy, if I am honest, and it requires a lot of solid, hard work. But if you are willing to put in that work and find the recovery that works from you, please know there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

As to the virus and fever, my son was sick from repeated viruses and had a low grade fever for a month, along with swollen glands and general malaise. That was 12 years ago and he is doing great. Viruses can linger for a couple of weeks normally, so 5-6 days is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by lofwyr View Post
    In my experience recovering from this can be done, but it is not easy, if I am honest, and it requires a lot of solid, hard work. But if you are willing to put in that work and find the recovery that works from you, please know there will be light at the end of the tunnel.
    Thanks! Yes, I'm willing to do hard work as I'm so tired of this anxiety taking over my life...

Quote Originally Posted by lofwyr View Post
    As to the virus and fever, my son was sick from repeated viruses and had a low grade fever for a month, along with swollen glands and general malaise. That was 12 years ago and he is doing great. Viruses can linger for a couple of weeks normally, so 5-6 days is nothing.
    Thanks for the answer... but what about the night sweats?
    The thing is that my fever becomes normal at nighttime but I still sweat at night?.... Is it normal??

Quote Originally Posted by max86 View Post
    but what about the night sweats?
    The thing is that my fever becomes normal at nighttime but I still sweat at night?.... Is it normal??
    Unless you're soaking the sheets (like having to wring them out and change them wet), you're good.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Unless you're soaking the sheets (like having to wring them out and change them wet), you're good.

Positive thoughts
    Not wring the sheets or the shirt out... but they can get wet....

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Can the anxiety cause the excessive sweating?

Night sweats can come from the low grade fever when you are sick, and 5-6 days it is to be expected you could still have them. Viruses linger on for a good long while.

Thanks

Thread Information