Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Very worried about esophageal cancer

Very worried about esophageal cancer

Hey everyone I've been dealing with heartburn for years off and on. I started having difficulty swallowing a little over a year ago like bread and meat. Now I've had this constant pain and burning in between my shoulder blades and chest that has me really worried. I had a endoscopy back in December of 2014 that was completely normal besides some mild gastritis. Can esophagus cancer form that quick? I smoked for around 10 years and and dipped for maybe a few months which I very much regret now. I'm really scared it's cancer :(.

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

How rare would it be for a 27 year old to get EC?[COLOR="blue"]

Re: Very worried about esophageal cancer

Extremely rare indeed. Esophageal cancer, like all cancers, can theoretically occur at any time with no known cause. But the overwhelming number of cases are related to lifestyle. It's one of a number of what are often called lifestyle diseases that are rising, especially in middle age, due to things like our modern diet, heavy drinking, smoking and chronic stress. However, a combination of living a healthy lifestyle and getting your reflux issues treated would reduce your already pretty low chances of getting the disease at some point in the future. As for now, there's just no way.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerError View Post
    Extremely rare indeed. Esophageal cancer, like all cancers, can theoretically occur at any time with no known cause. But the overwhelming number of cases are related to lifestyle. It's one of a number of what are often called lifestyle diseases that are rising, especially in middle age, due to things like our modern diet, heavy drinking, smoking and chronic stress. However, a combination of living a healthy lifestyle and getting your reflux issues treated would reduce your already pretty low chances of getting the disease at some point in the future. As for now, there's just no way.
    Thanks for the reply. I have another endoscopy scheduled for next Tuesday I pray it doesn't find cancer. It feels lime something is there every time I burp to like it's blocked off. Doesn't EC progress pretty quickly? I've just read a few stories on the web someone my age having it and us having similar symptoms.

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Im always clearing mucus from my throat constantly to

Hi there,

Just wondered how you've read about it, but are still asking us on the liklihood of you having it?

Are their other things they could cause the pain, hoarseness, and swallowing issues and food getting stuck

Gastro-esophageal reflux disease. Extremely common. Treatable. Benign.

I'm On protonix though my heartburn is gone but the pain is still there. It feels like a constant burning like a deep sunburn inside.

If you want a definitive diagnosis, this is not the place. You're having a test, so that will tell you everything you need to know. But do remember that the symptoms of GERD can be exacerbated by anxiety, and chest and throat discomfort are common in anxiety as well. Pain can also be entirely psychosomatic. I wonder what would become of this pain if you were able to tackle your anxiety and begin to relax a little. Perhaps you could treat with ordinary painkillers (the pain, not the anxiety!).

The more i read about it the more I'm convinced it's it..

... that's because your brain has formed this belief that it is cancer. And when you have a belief like that it looks for evidence to back it up.

So the more you read, the more you reinforce the belief. It's called priming.

You prime your brain to find evidence you have cancer, and it finds it.

Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information