Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lung Fears

Lung Fears

Hey All, Hope your doing well

I recently had a CT scan which incidentally captured some nodule in my my lungs

they reported to find 13x8mm nodule. i don't know exactly what it all means, but goes on to say nodular densities occasionally intermixed with ground glass density etc etc

The report does mentioned that its possible changes elating to bronchopneumonia or other, i did recently just have some form of a chest infection to which i am still passing, from what i understand, perhaps these are a result of that, My DR is great and quite reassuring but my HA is in a spiral and was hoping to reach out to see if others have had such things and it turn out to be nothing

thanks, stay stafe

Re: Lung Fears

Quote Originally Posted by mbee View Post
    I recently had a CT scan which incidentally captured some nodule in my my lungs

they reported to find 13x8mm nodule. i don't know exactly what it all means, but goes on to say nodular densities occasionally intermixed with ground glass density etc etc

The report does mentioned that its possible changes elating to bronchopneumonia or other, i did recently just have some form of a chest infection to which i am still passing, from what i understand, perhaps these are a result of that,
    This isn't unusual. Unfortunately, a growing problem with greater access to diagnostic equipment like CT scanners is that they find things which pose no real threat, but can trigger lots of anxiety.

'Ground glass' nodules are non, or partly solid hazy lesions that often occur after lungs are inflamed, or injured and most spontaneously regress and disappear after a while. They seem to be most prevalent in non smoking Asian women for some reason. The usual practice is to repeat the CT scan after 3 months and then keep monitoring it at longer intervals for 3+ years if the nodule persists unchanged. Surgery is usually only considered if the nodule begins to grow.

The probability is this is nothing more than an infection artifact of no significance. Even in the unlikely event it is more serious it will be relatively easily removed with little ongoing risk.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    This isn't unusual. Unfortunately, a growing problem with greater access to diagnostic equipment like CT scanners is that they find things which pose no real threat, but can trigger lots of anxiety.......
    Thanks for the reply!

How you explained the ground glass bit makes sense, would that finding suggest a lesser chance of lung cancer also? and instead, be more suggestive recent rather intense respiratory infection (chills, wet cough, heavy chest, yellow/green flem, sore throat) just over this last week perhaps that's why they have showed up do you think?

though they didn't specifically mention a quantity, they commented of findings on three sections of the left lower lobe, so this suggests there were three found./

Just bad luck/timing to get a CT of the Kidney perhaps?

GP is wanting me to follow up with a chest CT, however she is also very confident that it is nothing, in the absence of any symptoms, and with recent blood tests also being all clear
    Last edited by mbee; 23-11-20 at 12:54.

I have a nodule on my lung and they found it incidentally during a CT scan. It was checked 6 months later and hadn't grown so they are now not doing another scan for a year.

Apparently loads of us have these without even knowing.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I have a nodule on my lung and they found it incidentally during a CT scan. It was checked 6 months later and hadn't grown so they are now not doing another scan for a year.

Apparently loads of us have these without even knowing.
    Hi, thank you, I am starting to learn that are far more common than i thought, and more benign than not, im in my 30s and a non-smoker too so my risk profilee is a bit lower i suspect

How you explained the ground glass bit makes sense, would that finding suggest a lesser chance of lung cancer also? and instead, be more suggestive recent rather intense respiratory infection (chills, wet cough, heavy chest, yellow/green flem, sore throat) just over this last week perhaps that's why they have showed up do you think?
    It is far more likely to from infections than cancer.

though they didn't specifically mention a quantity, they commented of findings on three sections of the left lower lobe, so this suggests there were three found./
    I can't say. I don't know a lot about this type of nodule. Mine was the classic solid type, but even with those it seems to be a 50/50 chance of being benign. In fact the initial biopsy tests suggested mine was.

Just bad luck/timing to get a CT of the Kidney perhaps?
    Yeah, most of these things are picked up when trying to diagnose something unrelated. I've just wasted several days having tests after a CT scan picked up abnormalities in the liver. Fortunately, this wasn't the first time so I knew they weren't anything to worry about, but my GP insisted on having them thoroughly checked out anyway. On a more positive note the scans also imaged my lungs which were clear so I've probably got 6-8 years before I need to worry about cancer again.

GP is wanting me to follow up with a chest CT, however she is also very confident that it is nothing, in the absence of any symptoms, and with recent blood tests also being all clear
    She's probably right. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Even in the worst case scenario, removing nodules when they're that small is almost always curative, plus these days they usually only remove the nodule and some surrounding lung tissue, not the whole lobe, so almost full lung function is retained.

One tip: consider taking N-acetylcysteine (NAC) supplements for a couple of days before and after the next CT scan - clear it with your GP first. NAC is generally a safe supplement with few side-effects. It is mostly used medically to protect the liver in cases of paracetamol, aka acetaminophen, overdose and has other medical uses. It is a potent antioxidant which may protect against radiation injury. A least it does in mice.

I've just wasted several days having tests after a CT scan picked up abnormalities in the liver.
    This made me chuckle as whilst doing the CT scan on the lung nodule they found an abnormailty on my liver so I had another CT scan for that last week and whilst doing that they found diverticulitis (which I already knew I had).

Seek and thee shall find lol

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

It is far more likely to from infections than cancer.
    I think you are right. I need to settle my mind - it was probably the worst flu-type infection i can recall ever having, came on all of a sudden really strong one night then had me pretty much in bed for a few days - not ever experience something like that!

I think if it was suspicious the report would of suggested a more immediate follow up scan, instead it only suggested "a further chest scan of the above findings if clinically indicated" and then went on to say, "alternatively, a follow up scan could be performed in 4 months time to reassess if clinically indicated"

I can't say. I don't know a lot about this type of nodule. Mine was the classic solid type, but even with those it seems to be a 50/50 chance of being benign. In fact the initial biopsy tests suggested mine was.
    Is the solid type more likely to be the big C? with the 50/50 chance?

Yeah, most of these things are picked up when trying to diagnose something unrelated. I've just wasted several days having tests after a CT scan picked up abnormalities in the liver. Fortunately, this wasn't the first time so I knew they weren't anything to worry about, but my GP insisted on having them thoroughly checked out anyway. On a more positive note the scans also imaged my lungs which were clear so I've probably got 6-8 years before I need to worry about cancer again.
    Yes - it's a real challenge, been down this road in the past with something else, ended up with a number of scans, each time it being ruled out as 'normal' and i end up asking myself, Why! - I did attempt to ask if it was really required this time, but was told yes, but for reassurance, as the confidence was high that it was nothing - my GP is really good to me im very lucky

She's probably right. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Even in the worst case scenario, removing nodules when they're that small is almost always curative, plus these days they usually only remove the nodule and some surrounding lung tissue, not the whole lobe, so almost full lung function is retained.

One tip: consider taking N-acetylcysteine (NAC) supplements for a couple of days before and after the next CT scan - clear it with your GP first. NAC is generally a safe supplement with few side-effects. It is mostly used medically to protect the liver in cases of paracetamol, aka acetaminophen, overdose and has other medical uses. It is a potent antioxidant which may protect against radiation injury. A least it does in mice.
    I think that's the best thing, not worry, get the Chest CT then close this out and move on!

Oh ok, so even if it was "bad" they just remove it? i didnt know. i didnt think at first 8x13mm was small, but i guess if you draw that on paper, its pretty small.

oh yeah, i shall ask my GP about that supplement, thanks for the advise - most helpful

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Seek and thee shall find lol
    Indeed, Nicola. According to the gastroenterologist that reviewed my latest results CT scans can be an unreliable indicator of what is going on in the liver. Based purely on the CT images my future didn't look bright, but ultrasound shows a fairly normal liver for my age.

Most that die of old age have at least one lump, bump or other potentially serious issue which never went anywhere, or was progressing too slowly to do any real harm within a usual lifespan.

I think if it was suspicious the report would of suggested a more immediate follow up scan, instead it only suggested "a further chest scan of the above findings if clinically indicated" [I]and then went on to say, "alternatively, a follow up scan could be performed in 4 months time to reassess if clinically indicated"
    Agreed. A follow up scan at around 3 months is the usual practice when something is found which is probably benign, but might have a small chance of being more serious. It is just a precaution.

Is the solid type more likely to be the big C? with the 50/50 chance?
    This is my understanding, but I'm no expert.

I think that's the best thing, not worry, get the Chest CT then close this out and move on!
    Yes. It doesn't seem conclusive enough to worry about.

Oh ok, so even if it was "bad" they just remove it? i didnt know. i didnt think at first 8x13mm was small, but i guess if you draw that on paper, its pretty small.
    Mine was 12mm in diametre. 15 years ago when my left lung was sliced and diced the practice was to remove the whole lobe, not just the nodule and surrounding lung tissue and that causes more ongoing problems as not only is that lung's capacity reduced by about half, but the other half becomes significantly less efficient as it expands to fill the void. It also puts more pressure on the heart as the lungs act as shock absorbers smoothing out blood delivery into the major arteries. These days they tend to be less aggressive with nodules <=20mm.

oh yeah, i shall ask my GP about that supplement, thanks for the advise - most helpful
    NAC might also help with the health anxiety. It has been shown to ease OCD symptoms and also to increase the effectiveness of antidepressants for OCD in several small studies. HA is part of the OCD spectrum. But again, clear it with your GP, especially if you're on blood pressure meds, prescription vitamin K, or nitroglycerin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information