Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I stop obsessing over my bowels?

How can I stop obsessing over my bowels?

I've posted here a number of times about my continuing worry about my bowels. I have been completely focussed on my bowels for almost 2 and a half years now and I can't imagine ever getting back to normal.

Going to the toilet causes huge anxiety for me and I worry about the size, shape, colour, consistency, frequency every single time I go. Any small sensation in my stomach and I worry that I will have to go to the bathroom. It's got to the point that I try to have a bowel movement multiple times a day if I have even the tiniest sensation. Normally I can manage to pass a stool although usually quite small. Then I start to panic and think that i've gone too many times. I do have ibs and incomplete evacuation can be a part of it, I also have a prolapse, a rectocele, and I know that stool can get caught there but I still panic and find it really difficult to rationalise.

Don't know if anyone will be able to give me any reassurance but wanted to write it all down.

Re: How can I stop obsessing over my bowels?

Nobody relate to this?

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    Nobody relate to this?
    I think it’s an extremely common behavior with HA to be honest. I’m not sure I have any tips outside of just flushing and not caving to the urge to inspect. After a while I think the habit would begin to dissolve.

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    I think it’s an extremely common behavior with HA to be honest. I’m not sure I have any tips outside of just flushing and not caving to the urge to inspect. After a while I think the habit would begin to dissolve.
    I have tried not to look but I usually give in and look and then sometimes i'll find something to freak me out. I'm emotional exhausted by all of this.

That's really it. You HAVE to train yourself to stop this behavior. I've always recommend a "courtesy flush". Before you stand up, reach around and flush sitting down. Don't stand up until the flush finishes.

Positive thoughts and don't inspect the poo!
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    That's really it. You HAVE to train yourself to stop this behavior. I've always recommend a "courtesy flush". Before you stand up, reach around and flush sitting down. Don't stand up until the flush finishes.

Positive thoughts and don't inspect the poo!
    I should do this but scared i'll miss something important.

I should do this but scared i'll miss something important.
    That's just it. There's nothing important to miss. It's a catch 22 for you. You look and freak out, or you don't look and freak out. I think not looking eventually will pay off. The initial anxiety will eventually wear off.

Do it in stages. Start with one day. Monday you don't look. The next week, Monday and Wednesday etc. A small victory gives you the strength and confidence to continue. It's like exercise. Start slow and build up to it.

The bottom line is you have to do something. You can't go on the way things are and expect to overcome this. Other than real life professional help or the resources here, what choice do you really have?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    That's just it. There's nothing important to miss. It's a catch 22 for you. You look and freak out, or you don't look and freak out. I think not looking eventually will pay off. The initial anxiety will eventually wear off.

Do it in stages. Start with one day. Monday you don't look. The next week, Monday and Wednesday etc. A small victory gives you the strength and confidence to continue. It's like exercise. Start slow and build up to it.

The bottom line is you have to do something. You can't go on the way things are and expect to overcome this. Other than real life professional help or the resources here, what choice do you really have?

Positive thoughts
    I think the only choice I have is to go to my gp and ask for a colonoscopy, which absolutely terrifies me as I feel certain I will get bad news. I play it all out in my head, being told I have cancer, telling my family, my children breaking there hearts, the treatment, the pain and suffering and ultimately me dying and my family having to cope with me no longer being there. I am just about holding myself together but I know I will be absolutely useless in the run up to the colonoscopy. How would I hide that from my kids?

I'm going to wait until after Christmas and new year to go to the gp as I can't ruin it for my family. So I will try my hardest between now and then not to look at all. I just feel so sure i'm going to get bad news, can't shake this feeling.

I think the only choice I have is to go to my gp and ask for a colonoscopy, which absolutely terrifies me as I feel certain I will get bad news. I play it all out in my head, being told I have cancer, telling my family, my children breaking there hearts, the treatment, the pain and suffering and ultimately me dying and my family having to cope with me no longer being there. I am just about holding myself together but I know I will be absolutely useless in the run up to the colonoscopy. How would I hide that from my kids?

I'm going to wait until after Christmas and new year to go to the gp as I can't ruin it for my family. So I will try my hardest between now and then not to look at all. I just feel so sure i'm going to get bad news, can't shake this feeling.
    Catastrophic thinking right here. Unfortunately if you get the colonoscopy, it will come back clear, and then you will jump to something else to worry about. It’s just the nature of the health anxiety beast.

Catastrophic thinking right here. Unfortunately if you get the colonoscopy, it will come back clear, and then you will jump to something else to worry about. It’s just the nature of the health anxiety beast.
    You're probably right about me worrying about something else IF it comes back clear but you can't be sure that it will come back clear. I'm 52 years old and the likelihood of me getting cancer is higher year by year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information