Thread: What does your heart rhythm feel like?

What does your heart rhythm feel like?

Currently freaking out... I checked my pulse (I know, bad, but my HA is through the roof lately) and I noticed extra beats?? :( like my rhythm goes beat..beat..beat..beatbeat..beat.. beat..beat..beat..beatbeat, and so on. Please tell me someone else has had this or has it?? I’m so scared I’m going to drop dead :( my health anxiety is awful right now, I went off of my med so I’m noticing every lkttke thing :( please reply, guys :/ hopefully this is normal.

Re: What does your heart rhythm feel like?

As far as I can tell, it's really common. Go to your doctor and get it checked to set your mind at ease, but I doubt it'll be anything more than a variation of normal.

May I ask why you went off your meds?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    As far as I can tell, it's really common. Go to your doctor and get it checked to set your mind at ease, but I doubt it'll be anything more than a variation of normal.

May I ask why you went off your meds?
    Thank you for replying! I appreciate it. I’ve read some things on this but I want to make sure it’s the exact same thing. Because nothing causes me to notice it. I just feel my pulse and notice it then because I’m so in tune with my body again :( I went off of my meds because I was finally feeling normal again and Prozac caused me to gain 45 lbs. I’m thinking I need to get back on my med. I just want to know if this is normal and anyone else experiences the exact same thing. I’m afraid to go to the doctor :(

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Anyone else get this or had this?? :( please reply it’s freaking me out.

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 ----------

Anyone else get this or had this?? :( please reply it’s freaking me out.

Often. Anxiety often causes mild rhythm disturbances (palpitations) and one common form is the feeling of extra beats. Almost always entirely harmless and indicative of nothing. Even people without anxiety have palpitations / skipped/extra from time to time. I've had afib before, and it was very obvious. Basically like having constant palpitations, zero regularity in the rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by bin tenn View Post
    Often. Anxiety often causes mild rhythm disturbances (palpitations) and one common form is the feeling of extra beats. Almost always entirely harmless and indicative of nothing. Even people without anxiety have palpitations / skipped/extra from time to time. I've had afib before, and it was very obvious. Basically like having constant palpitations, zero regularity in the rhythm.
    Oh my gosh, that’s so scary! Do you know what cause the Afib run? And thank you so much for your reply, it means a lot and makes me feel better. It comforts me knowing I’m not the only one.

Hockeygirl55

At the tender age of 23, when I was a "weekend warrior" with alcohol, I experienced an episode of alcohol-induced Atrial Fibrillation. I believe in the US they call it "holiday heart syndrome".

When I felt my heart flip from sinus rhythm to Fast AF, I knew it right away that I was experiencing a very abnormal irregular beat. I was in Accident & Emergency within 30 minutes.

If you flipped into AF right now, you would NOT be asking NoMorePanic. To do so wouldn't even cross your mind. You'd know it and be on your way to the hospital for an ECG.

Good luck

(EDIT)

I must say that day on the way to A&E, it did cross my mind that it could've been the first symptom of a structural heart problem. It inevitably crossed my mind that I could die, but amazingly I wasn't an anxious mess like you'd imagine. It amazed me how strong I was in such a situation which would have caused me great panic just to think about. You'd be surprised how strong we can be when we need to!

All subsequent ECGs, holter monitoring and echocardiogaphy came back as normal :-)
    Last edited by RadioGaGa; 08-12-18 at 01:48.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeygirl55 View Post
    Oh my gosh, that’s so scary! Do you know what cause the Afib run? And thank you so much for your reply, it means a lot and makes me feel better. It comforts me knowing I’m not the only one.
    My episode was a combination of terrible acid reflux (which I've been on a PPI for since the episode, but untreated at the time) and the fact that it woke me up in the middle of the night. Waking up around 1am choking on acid, and coughing very violently, just happened to cause a rhythm disturbance that my body couldn't correct on its own. Not a single issue since then, just my usual palpitations (which I've had since way before the afib).

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    Hockeygirl55

At the tender age of 23, when I was a "weekend warrior" with alcohol, I experienced an episode of alcohol-induced Atrial Fibrillation. I believe in the US they call it "holiday heart syndrome".

When I felt my heart flip from sinus rhythm to Fast AF, I knew it right away that I was experiencing a very abnormal irregular beat. I was in Accident & Emergency within 30 minutes.

If you flipped into AF right now, you would NOT be asking NoMorePanic. To do so wouldn't even cross your mind. You'd know it and be on your way to the hospital for an ECG.

Good luck

(EDIT)

I must say that day on the way to A&E, it did cross my mind that it could've been the first symptom of a structural heart problem. It inevitably crossed my mind that I could die, but amazingly I wasn't an anxious mess like you'd imagine. It amazed me how strong I was in such a situation which would have caused me great panic just to think about. You'd be surprised how strong we can be when we need to!

All subsequent ECGs, holter monitoring and echocardiogaphy came back as normal :-)
    Yes! Definitely! I was also amazed at how calm I was once the EMTs told me that the EKG was abnormal in the ambulance. The way I think about it is that, at that point, I KNEW I was facing a very real threat - not a PERCEIVED threat that anxiety FABRICATES. And as such, my natural survival instincts kicked in. Thus I was able to calm down in order for my body to understand the very real circumstances and do what it could to survive.

Exactly bin tenn

It's interesting coughing/spluttering caused yours. Mine started when I was vomiting violently from the alcohol. It was actually feeling the switch from sinus to atrial fib that was the odd part. They think it's irritation to the vagus nerve that causes this

I've since been sick twice due to drinking alcohol and no more AF.

The blasé attitude I've taken to it really does beggar belief, considering my most recent fear of vascular disease! Which alcohol causes (slaps self on face)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    Exactly bin tenn

It's interesting coughing/spluttering caused yours. Mine started when I was vomiting violently from the alcohol. It was actually feeling the switch from sinus to atrial fib that was the odd part. They think it's irritation to the vagus nerve that causes this

I've since been sick twice due to drinking alcohol and no more AF.

The blasé attitude I've taken to it really does beggar belief, considering my most recent fear of vascular disease! Which alcohol causes (slaps self on face)
    Yep! But I assure you it was no routine cough. Haha. I've never coughed so violently in my life. I imagine the mechanism was very similar to your violently vomiting triggering afib for you. I've also read that about the vagus nerve - palpitations and so much more - which can be aggravated by many things, including overeating.

I'm a smoker worried about heart disease, if that's any consolation. Haha.

Thread Information