Thread: IBS, GERD, anxiety, bug??

IBS, GERD, anxiety, bug??

I feel like my entire intestines are inflamed and complaining - extremely bloated, been feeling sick for days (taking tablets to stop me as I'm terrified of that), acid, shoulder pain, low temperature, sick-but-hungry feeling and niggling and crampy pains from bottom of ribs to right down in pelvic area. I think my whole digestive system is in trouble, I feel bruised and swollen inside, but don't know if it's something I've eaten, a bug, or stress/anxiety. I've never felt this icky for this long in one spell. Have I just been lucky up until now? Does anyone else feel this bad with IBS and/or GERD? Oh, I checked my temperature because I've been feeling hot all day, and this is England in winter with snow everywhere... it was 36.1, so definitely no fever.

Re: IBS, GERD, anxiety, bug??

Angelai, I have very similar symptoms for months. Just getting tests done. I am already diagnosed with GERD and it can produce many of the symptoms you describe. Of course IBS can too. My symptoms don't change whether I eat or not either and I have nausea every day which is actually the worst part I think.
    Hope you feel better soon. I am sure you already know this but don't google....no matter how strong the urge.....I almost drove myself mad over the last few months.

Beckett, thanks so much for replying - I'm sorry you suffer, too.

I think the real problem is that I have severe, crippling emetophobia - sickness is genuinely the worst possible thing that could happen and I obsess over it 24/7. So basically, I am permanently on 'high alert', and therefore stressed and anxious ALL THE TIME which doesn't help with the IBS and GERD. Having nausea from either/both of these is just typical, right?

After lots of reminiscing with my mum the last few years, something new was mentioned the other day - I ALWAYS brought milk and meat back up, right from a new baby I wouldn't feed. That little bit of info might have been useful to me much earlier in my life (I'm 45 now)! I think I've always had a reflux problem, and for many years it was silent - it would explain the sinus problems I've always had, too. And, I imagine there was constant stress around eating, which is why I have to be really careful to stay calm when eating. I also have to be distracted - tv, reading, anything to take the focus off actually eating, or it all goes wrong/uncoordinated. I can't swallow properly, food gets stuck, I end up swallowing loads of air, choking etc. Joy.

Anyway, I hope you get some answers and it's something easily treatable x

At least you know where the anxiety comes from.....its a good start! But these symptoms are very frustrating....it is really hard to just get on with things when feeling this wretched. Hope today is better.

I feel very similar to this and constantly wonder what is wrong with me. Right now I’m lying in bed, monitoring my stomach noises because I’m terrified I’m going to be ill. The chances are it’s all just a bit of extra gas in my stomach but I am on such high alert that I feel so sick from worrying about it all.

I have had GERD for years since I was about 21/22 (I’m 32 now) and have been taking medication on and off for that time. I’m currently not taking anything for the reflux which means when I experience acid it’s baaaad.

I hope that you’re feeling better as it’s now a couple of weeks since the original post but I just wanted you to know you’re definitely not alone in these feelings. I am forever feeling like my insides are sore or bruised or inflamed because of the seemingly endless issues I experience.

Thread Information