Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Copyright Directive Panic

Re: Copyright Directive Panic

The pro lobby hardly needs one more, they already had a majority last time.

It's odd that the pro lobby have turned against it yet politicians are pushing on with a piece of legislation no one even wants any more. :shrugs: That's a recipe for disaster and later wrangling over changes.

A typical sledgehammer to crack a nut.

There's going to be rioting over this, I guarantee it.

Guys, this final text is about as good as it's going to get. And that's not good enough.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

(But better than nothing...)

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    (But better than nothing...)
    I think Frank is concerned about the revision. The articles said rather than improving it based on people's concerns it actually went even more strict and that's why Germany (and several other countries) turned it down when they had been in favour before.

The new revision has caused the original lobby, the media firms, to walk away because it had a clause added in along the lines of "unless you want to opt out" which took controls away from them. I would have thought that would please the opposition as it's better than nothing so it's confusing why some countries are saying it's gone too strict when that suggests the opposite. Without reading the text, it's hard to say. So much politics, they could be lying to appease the media firms to get that taken out?

If we don't stop them, this site could be among the many taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    If we don't stop them, this site could be among the many taken down.
    I disagree with that. Nic may have to ensure anything quoted material is inline with the new regulation, and considering the billions upon billions of retrospective breaches I would imagine it won't affect anything pre-regulation change, but she would have to update the site to reflect her agreement on us sharing information from her site and to it. From it she could simply state, providing no rule is created to prevent it, "I don't care, use what you want" and that would change nothing.

The whole point of this law is to allow the EU and governments to control what people see. They don't actually really care about the economic effect.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    Guys, this is an emergency! The fate of the free world is at stake! The corporatists are desperate and Article 13 can give them the opportunity to regain the upper hand. You should know that a law like this could mark the beginning of a totalitarian future, because it is impossible to predict how the big companies will abuse it! As you can imagine, I'm terrified. If this goes through I'll have to leave the country, and I can't take that! Please... tell me there's a good side in all this...?
    Provided the UK leaves the EU it will not affect the UK. But, the UK wants to control it anyway so that's not really good news.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 05-03-19 at 13:08.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information