Thread: Why am I forced to pick a gender on sign up?

Why am I forced to pick a gender on sign up?

What if I don't identify as male or female, Maybe I am gender fluid or binary.

Anyway it doesn't really bother me I just wanted to get your attention so I can ask for early chat room access. Thanks

Re: Why am I forced to pick a gender on sign up?

given you access......

just been looking I think we can change it so your gender can be blank

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

The only time I've discussed gender fluid is on the Male & Female health boards

to NMP.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

The reason we ask about gender is that sometimes it's pertinent to the advice we give here, but I agree there should be an option to leave it blank if so desired or appropriate.

Welcome to NMP.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    The reason we ask about gender is that sometimes it's pertinent to the advice we give here, but I agree there should be an option to leave it blank if so desired or appropriate.

Welcome to NMP.
    I notice that our genders have been removed and members have to now go into edit options and select one (or none). Why is this?

Problem is that many people won't do this and it's useful to know gender when replying to some posts, unless their user name is MyNameIsKerry or such

I also note that some members are selecting "female" when they are clearly a male

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    I notice that our genders have been removed and members have to now go into edit options and select one (or none). Why is this?

Problem is that many people won't do this and it's useful to know gender when replying to some posts, unless their user name is MyNameIsKerry or such

I also note that some members are selecting "female" when they are clearly a male
    I agree with you, it was always useful to know when replying.

It all got wiped out by GDPR. Typical, the EU & their laws again

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=215651

I wonder how many people have actually noticed? I wish they would update it.

I personally wouldn't bother TBH because I never post threads asking for support, advice etc. But for those who do, it helps members give you a more informed reply without having to trawl through your old posts, which wastes our time.

Perhaps NMP should PM all members about this so they can update if so desired?

Never Surrender, Comrade

Yeah I had to remove the gender question because of the legal impacts etc etc.

I can't PM all members I am afraid and some may see that as an intrusion as well.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information