Thread: Has anyone ever had Diarrhea lasting 5 days?! (Sorry)

Unhappy Has anyone ever had Diarrhea lasting 5 days?! (Sorry)

Embarrassed that I even have to post this topic but I can't get an appointment with my GP until the end of next week and I'm going crazy with worry.

I've had an upset stomach since Monday.

Severe cramping and diarrhea since then with a very bloated stomach.

As I'm vegan, I can't really think of anything that I've eaten that would cause these symptoms except that last Tuesday someone fed me cheese by accident and diary makes me ill but - Tuesday to Monday - would it take that long to show symptoms? I'm not so sure...

I've been staying hydrated and barely eaten. Had some dry toast and banana and that's about it. But still have 'the runs' which are becoming more infrequenct since Monday but I guess that's just because I've not eaten. Either way my bowel movements when I do have them are still very loose and I get cramping right before...

Feeling fed up now and starting to convince myself it's something serious.

Help

Re: Has anyone ever had Diarrhea lasting 5 days?! (Sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    Embarrassed that I even have to post this topic but I can't get an appointment with my GP until the end of next week and I'm going crazy with worry.

I've had an upset stomach since Monday.

Severe cramping and diarrhea since then with a very bloated stomach.

As I'm vegan, I can't really think of anything that I've eaten that would cause these symptoms except that last Tuesday someone fed me cheese by accident and diary makes me ill but - Tuesday to Monday - would it take that long to show symptoms? I'm not so sure...

I've been staying hydrated and barely eaten. Had some dry toast and banana and that's about it. But still have 'the runs' which are becoming more infrequenct since Monday but I guess that's just because I've not eaten. Either way my bowel movements when I do have them are still very loose and I get cramping right before...

Feeling fed up now and starting to convince myself it's something serious.

Help

Hey there, sorry to hear that your having these issues I know it can be completely miserable. I don’t think it was the cheese either I would have imagined that it would have had an effect much sooner if that were the case.

Has the need to go been waking you in the night at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

It sounds like a stomach bug. Loads about in the winter. It's normal to take a week if you get a nasty bug. It's taken me two weeks before now to feel back to normal but it's a good sign that the stomach probs are easing already. Food poisoning causes a lot less of these things than people think. I doubt v. much you'll need that appointment. All a GP does is to tell you it's probably a bug and sometimes they'll give you a prescription for loperamide if you need it. Hope you feel better soon.

Yep, I had a bout of severe diarrhea that lasted 10 days last February. I ended up in the ER where they did blood and stool tests, diagnosed it as "viral", gave me fluids and sent me on my way. Started feeling much better the following day, so probably the fluids supported my system enough to enable it to recover. So, 5 days is certainly not unheard of, but also I think it would be appropriate to go to the doctor at this point if you don't seem to be getting better. They may want to do some testing to rule out bacterial infections because those might require antibiotics, and they can check if you may be getting dehydrated.

Hi there, don't suppose you are newly vegan? I remember the same symptoms when I first became a vegan - just the body adjusting I suppose. Other than that I still get the occaisional symptoms you describe depending on what i eat - or what recent bug I've picked up (work in schools so constantly exposed).
    Hope doc can put your mind at rest .....

My mum had it for 2 weeks a couple of years back. That was just a bug.

Keep in hydrated is the right thing to do. It's not just water though, it's body salts you need as you aren't eating too replace them. You can get salt rehydration products such as Dioralyte (something like that anyway). Supermarkets sell it and chemists will.

It's worth seeing your GP but not because it's a problem, you may just need some meds or they will keep an eye on you. My mum is elderly so it was more of an issue for her and they are always cautious with the elderly, but if you are otherwise healthy and have no other conditions that could be a factor then you will be fine.

Although the most vital thing you may need right now is to keep the loo rolls in the fridge!

If you get any rib pain, it's muscle strain. My mum had it for weeks afterwards.

If you have roids, they will inflame due to the frequency of toilet trips, extra wiping and the fact the acidic nature of loose stools irritates them. Sitting in warm salt water helps when they are bad.

I've had it for a week once. Eventually went to GP who took a stool test to check for infection and it came back normal. It went away on its own after a few days. Don't worry, but check with your GP for peace of mind and just to be on the safe side.

Yeah.

Either something minor or just anxiety.

Thread Information