Thread: IBS and Weight Loss?

IBS and Weight Loss?

Hey everyone hoping someone out there can help me out or at least talk to me. I’ve had ongoing stomach issues. I’ve been diagnosed with IBS but now I know that’s code for they don’t know what the hell is going on. I’ve had the following tests:
    Colonoscopy
    CT Scan
    Endoscopy
    Ultrasound
    Hida Scan (Monday)

I’ve learned to manage the pain more or less. What’s concerning me now is when I had my most recent flare up one year ago I weighed 183 pounds. Last Month at the doctor I was down to 173. Today at the doctor I was 167. I know I have health anxiety so of course I googled it and there was Cancer. I talked to the doctor today which was at Stanford Medical and she said more than likely I’ve trained my self to eat less because there is less pain and I’m just not getting enough calories. I’m a fairly active guy and coach. But the weight loss scares me. Has anyone experienced this? I plan on writing down what I eat and I have an app to count calories. I plan on recording I’m just interested to see if anyone else suffers weight loss. Thank you for your time.

Re: IBS and Weight Loss?

I did experience something similar recently. I had almost all symptoms of colon cancer, including weight loss (about 9 pounds lost in 1 month). After a bunch of tests returning normal, including an ultrasound and a colonoscopy, I found that the reason behind my weight loss was simply my anxiety. I thought about it and in retrospect it makes a lot of sense, because I did lose some weight all 4 times I was worried I had cancer. That might be your case

You lose weight due to the fact that you eat little and are depressed because of this. The doctor at Stanford Medical is right in saying that you set yourself up for it. You need to take care of yourself and start eating normally.

Hi, I have been told that I probably have IBS as well, but I haven't had any of those tests you've had - only blood tests. Recently I have been stressed about my IBS symptoms as well as other stuff (MS, heart worries - have a look at my posting history). I've been in the grip of anxiety for at least 2 months now. I've also lost quite a bit of weight, and although I'm worried about this, I know that I have not been eating well and also been exercising a lot to combat the anxiety.

I've also dropped weight at other times over the past year - when I moved house, changed jobs and when my dog died, so I'm trying to think rationally that it is stress and anxiety, but it's very difficult when it's worrying about your health.

I think you can be rest assured that you are fine because of all your extensive tests.

Thread Information