Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Therapy not working

Re: Therapy not working

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    What was your gut feeling when she offered that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That I prefered monthly sessions and maybe she just wants the money feel a bit conned with my stag night as I posted in that topic

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    That I prefered monthly sessions and maybe she just wants the money feel a bit conned with my stag night as I posted in that topic
    Maybe you can forward her a link to NMP and have her read your threads. It's a virtual cornucopia of mental illness in words. I actually think intensive therapy and being held accountable is vital! Your fiance' needs to be involved as well as your family. You need to be held in check and challenged every step of the way to stand a chance. Would you rather work and spend $$ on getting better or stay the same, worrying about bullshit and spend money on crap you don't need? It's a no brainer IMO.

Anyway, again, everyone says go for it. you're going to do what you want anyway. I'm sure we'll see and hear about your decision shortly.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Maybe you can forward her a link to NMP and have her read your threads. It's a virtual cornucopia of mental illness in words. I actually think intensive therapy and being held accountable is vital! Your fiance' needs to be involved as well as your family. You need to be held in check and challenged every step of the way to stand a chance. Would you rather work and spend $$ on getting better or stay the same, worrying about bullshit and spend money on crap you don't need? It's a no brainer IMO.

Anyway, again, everyone says go for it. you're going to do what you want anyway. I'm sure we'll see and hear about your decision shortly.

Positive thoughts
    My partner doesn’t want to be involved that’s the problem.

And I’m still deciding at the moment as I was actually going to look at a new theripst. I have also been using YouTube as a source for the CBT.

I hit a bit of a mental block as I do a lot these days when I worried about the cost of the therapy I was happy to do it for six months.

That said I have felt let down by lack of nhs help. I have worries on my mind I know going back to see her won’t change the reality of the situation.

And after the footballer experience I felt so annoyed I feel like never paying for anybody’s services again litaltey I felt like cancelling all my stag night entertainment and felt everybody was conning me out of money I know that’s prob rash but that’s how I felt. To have been demanded money upfront made me feel awful.

Plus it’s pretty bad the nhs are happy for me to go down the private route and won’t offer therapy and think exercise and YouTube is the answer.

They did give me some beta blockers that has reduced my anxiety quite a bit bit I still feel far from perfect I still have the awful ocd thoughts.

It’s a new year in a few weeks so I have some choices to make of which help I need. I would say I have felt awful since about April when I moved home so that’s 8 months feeling awful when I wake each morning it’s not easy. I’m sure it’s just the way I deal with the stress. The contamination ocd has taken its toll as well.

My partner doesn’t want to be involved that’s the problem.
    That's more than a problem! From my personal experience, Not being involved is a recipe for disaster.

Good luck Phil. I've given you many replies and suggestions but ultimately it's up to you.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I’ve had 7 sessions and spent over £300 already she stopped as I was exploring some free nhs therapy to be told I can’t have any
    Did they? I thought they offered a psychologist and relaxation-based therapy?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Did they? I thought they offered a psychologist and relaxation-based therapy?
    Yep that’s what they said

I could ask her for one session a month at 30 mins for £20? Might be less of a drain on my bank balance

Update so it’s been a few months

Money is very tight but I opted to see the theripst as I have been struggling it’s the same theripst I had 7 sessions with. I feel I need to speak to somebody out with family so that was my choice.

Like I say money is tight no idea how long I will do it for this time but given how bad my ocd is I feel it can only help a bit

Another update

My theripst has decided that I’m better now. I mentioned earlier on last week that treating my anxiety was better. She seems to think challenging my thoughts is the best solution. I also explained I stopped doing 90% of my compulsions like replacing stuff or washing. I explained I simply forget about thoughts. Like I do have some existence and contamination worries but I simply have to forget these thoughts as I have decided I don’t need the stress.

Some people may agree it’s best to stop thearpy or some may disagree but I’m sure she wouldn’t say stop if I still needed help. It may work out ok becuase I can save money and see how I get on without the help and on the other hand if I am struggling I can either go back to her or seek a new theripst which may have a different approach.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I think recovery is a process you have to keep working at. You can still apply the strategies you learned in therapy to your daily life. You don't need endless sessions to do that.

You've suffered for a long time now and any breakthrough is to be welcomed but also remember that mental illness can creep up on us when we become complacent and think all is well.

And re your job situation on another thread, I would mention to your boss that as much as you'd like the extra hours/cash, you have to take into account your mental health and wellbeing.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information