Thread: Withdrawal from Venlafaxine

Withdrawal from Venlafaxine

For the past ten years, I have been on numerous SSRI's and ended up on the SNRI Venlafaxine. I have not come on here to run down this drug. I feel it has helped me through some very stressful times and to an extent has kept me in a reasonable mood, not without troubles.

Pretty much ALL the SSRI/SNRI meds I have been on have made me sweat like hell. Paroxetine and Sertraline both turn me into a demon, so I have mainly spent time on Citalopram, Fluoxetine and most recently, Venlafaxine.

In part, due to the exceptionally hot weather we have experienced this year, the sweating has become intolerable. With my doctor, I have decided to come off Venlafaxine. Now many of you probably know, the short half life of Venlafaxine (Ven) makes it harder to reduce than other drugs. I have extensively researched the effects and half lifes of various mental health drugs, and it quickly became apparent that Ven is hard to come down from. Alternating doses of short half-life drugs only creates a roller ride.

And then I spent a long time researching the "Fluoxetine bridge" method. I did find some evidence to support this in Psychiatric papers and forums.

My doctor's taper schedule from 300mg was:

Week 1: 150mg
    Week 2: 75mg
    Week 4: 75mg every other day
    Week 5: STOP.

I knew this was bull straight away, but just could not bring myself to tell my GP her job. When I tried following my doctor's taper schedule, I felt absolutely horrendous. Cramps, nausea, shakes, near panic attacks. Etc.

MY schedule as researched by me:

So far, I have used Fluoxetine bridge method and fortunately had plenty surplus from being on it before. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND MAKE YOUR OWN INFORMED CHOICE. THIS IS NOT INTENDED AS ADVICE, THIS IS JUST WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME.

Week 1: 225mg - (I still had plenty of these left, so not sure why doc wanted me to make such a big reduction at once. Probably NHS saviing ) Odd head twitch and a few cramps.
    Week 2: 150mg - Headaches, a few head zaps and feeling a bit arsey. Occasional suicidal thoughts, and sobbing sessions. Stabilised after a few days. SOme problems sleeping.
    Week 3: 75mg Ven, 20mg Fluoxetine. ( Self medicating stage. Do not do this, it is very naughty and bad things will happen). More head zaps, but not feeling too depressed. Ocasional trouble sleeping.
    Week 4: Only 20mg Fluoxetine. Bit moody, but generally OK. Quite a few head zaps. but sometimes enjoyable in a perverse way. Took dog for a long walk.
    Week 5: Yet to come, but will come off Fluoxetine by taking every other day. This works for long half life drugs.
    Week 6: Stop.

My sweating seems to be getting better. I am going to see if I can manage without the medication, but may well end up on something else. My GP has identified a couple of old skool TCA's which could help with depression, anxiety and sleep.

Just not sweating everytime I move however, will greatly improve my mood. If I need something still, then hopefully there is something which won't make me sweat buckets.
    Last edited by morgz84; 26-08-18 at 02:50. Reason: Cautionary message

Re: Withdrawal from Venlafaxine

That's still pretty fast when you consider the initial dose drops. The Fluoxetine will be propping up the Serotonin a bit but given you have done your research I guessing you realise it's not a straight trade in that respect by a long way (matching of dose for saturation %'s, longer half life med never truly balancing due to lack of a month to do so, difference in adrenaline side of the Ven although Ven is so weak in this respect it's less of a SNRI than some SSRI's would be in this respect).

I think you can spot a GP without real experience of antidepressants in how simplistic they look at withdrawal, start ups, switches, etc. They look towards available dosages as made by manufacturers as opposed to how psychiatrists advise we withdraw after long term therapies.

It's good you did your research, you will know more than many GP's now . There is obviously the risk of Serotonin Syndrome in the switch over but the good thing with a short half life will be it cycling out quite quickly although the effects on Serotonin levels may not map quite so closely to the elimination given the new med adding some in there but certainly from an active drug point of view the elimination will be very quick. I only mention SS, I know switches are very common so it's very unlikely.

Good luck with it all.

Re: Withdrawal from Venlafaxine

Morgz for how long were you taking medication?

Thread Information