Thread: Omg freaking out so much!! Sickness just came over me... emetophobic!!

Omg freaking out so much!! Sickness just came over me... emetophobic!!

I am freaking out soooo much right now...

Iv got a bad cold.. started yesterday and have come out with all the symptoms today - runny nose, sore throat, achy, so tired and iv been working from home all day today.

Iv felt really quite ill today but have tried to work through it.... iv also been panicking abit too because i really cant hack being ill!

Anyway, 'sick' has been on my mind today because i know you can be sick when you are ill... and im ill... so i could be sick! (even though i have NEVER been sick with a cold)

My mum is away in ireland at the moment, only went yesterday and shes gone for a week... my dad is here but it is my mum who usually calms me down and helps me when im poorly so my anxiety has been heightened because of that too.... i just want her to come home!

I was just working on my laptop downstairs and was suddenly hit with a wave of sickness... although i dont think i actually felt sick... my stomach just felt very tight and weird and a whole rush came over my body.. my heart began to absolutly pound because i really thought i was gona throw up.... i grabbed my bottle of water and ran upstairs to my room (my safety zone) and iv been sat by my water ever since.. im terrified!!

Do you think i could be sick?? I only think iv got a cold so this could just be in my head like all the times before but i feel so run down and ill with this cold that my stomach feels icky....... i cant honestly describe how trrified i am right now!

Please, need reassurance or something!

I cant handle being sick... what if it never stops! And my mums not here... im sorry for going on, im in abit of a panic xx

Re: Omg freaking out so much!! Sickness just came over me... emetophobic!!

*sat by my *window* ever since..

Babe, firstly please try not to panic about this. You know yourself from what you have said that with a bad cold, the most unlikely symptom you are gonna have is vomiting....end of. In actual fact the only reason that would cause you to vomit is getting yourself het up and into a state where you end up feeling so nauseous that you are sick hun, so you need first to try, try, try to relax. Deep breaths, flex and relax your muscles, etc. Distraction next....with anything....tv, music, internet (NOT DR. GOOGLE EITHER!!) Make yourself a hot drink which is always good for a rough cold.....any distraction/busy activity will help at least anything you can manage with your cold and feeling unwell.

Things are always way magnified when you feel unwell anyway, so try to work more on your cold symptoms and not what might happen, which is NOT sickness.......believe it and tell yourself it !!!

lots of love.xxxxxx

Thank you so much for your reply debs - i just feel so ill and im panicking all the time on top of being ill which is making it much worse.

I just cant get out of my head that it might not be 'just a cold' and could be the flu or something else where you can be sick?!? But i keep telling myself that surely id be much worse with the flu? And also from what i know of, you dont really get the sneezing and sniffles etc with flu.. its more your body that is sooo achy etc which isnt really me.... im just sneezing constantly etc so i need to tell myself its just a cold and believe it.... which is proving difficult!

I dont know what hit me... i honestly thought i was going to be sick right there and then.... but i guess panic attacks can also hit me out the blue, so it was maybe one of those? I really dont know...

I just want my mum here but then i guess even if she was, she couldnt stop me being sick... its gona happen if i like it or not.

Im pretty sure its just a cold.... and surely if i was gona be sick i wouldnt be feeling hungry? and i am abit now.... god i wish i didnt have this, just wanna be 'normal' for a change

Hope u r ok xx

You sound very logical to me hun, the hard thing is just keeping all those logical things in mind and not letting the anxiety and panic overwhelm you...I totally know it is difficult.

The things about flu is it REALLY lays you up and everything aches, and colds are tricky buggers cos being a virus they give you the aches a bit too. It is a good sign that you are hungry too. Bear in mind too that this time of year is rife for viral illnesses like colds, coughs, etc, etc, so it is more than likely that and nothing more so remind yourself when you feel the anxiety at its peak of all that positive point.

Try to stop dwelling if you can on the sickness thing as you know yourself that that pain in the bum that is known as anxiety is fooling your mind into thinking that, and nausea is a big anxiety symtom as well isn't it? You are gonna be fine.

Keep us posted hun.xxx

Hey! sorry only just saw this!
    Hope you're okay now?!

I doubt you will be sick - it's probably just a cold - sometimes colds make our tummys a little bit bleugh! The last cold I had made me a little queasy but i wasn't sick from it *touch wood*
    If you are hungry then you won't be sick as nausea stops hunger !

I panic when i feel like this aswell though! Especially if my mums gone out!
    Hope you're okay xxx

I hope you are feeling better.. Just try to distract yourself by doing something to calm yourself..

Thank you for your replies guys - iv managed to convince myself i am not going to be sick (kind of anyway lol)

I know its just a cold and im telling myself that over and over... it puts my mind at rest that nothing bad is going to happen.

Iv still got to work from home today as we work closely with young babies, pregnant mums etc so everyones whos got it at the mo has to work from home - so atleast i dont have to get myself through work etc, i can calm down at home.

I feel slightly better today - still the same symptoms but not as bad and not as shivery today so hopefully im slowly getting over it.

God i hate this time of year

Thanku for all your replies xx

Thread Information