Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Norovirus

Re: Norovirus

What about if he was sick in front of you?

I believe you can catch it that way.

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Louise just to put you at ease just a little you cant just catch it from someone being sick in front of you but of course if you ingest any viral particles you can. So to sum up, you might not of ingested any viral particles and even if you did it doesnt automatically mean you will catch the virus.

I hope that helps you.

hey i no how you are feeling, i came down wit it before xmas and now im scared of getting something again, but we cant let it drag us down,
    i got hympnsis last month and it has helped me alot. But ur not on ur own i no just what ur going through hun. xxxx

You know what annoys me?

When people know that they have the virus or a stomach bug and yet they don't stay at home!!!

I was with a group of friends this evening and one of them still came out even though he knew he had picked up the bug that was going around his work. I told him to go home but he said he would be all right... not longer than an hour later he dashed off to the toilet to throw up. One of us then took him home at that point.

But for the rest of the evening I've been ultra paranoid about everything I've touched... avoiding where he sat, trying to avoid the things he touched... when he was giving me some money for something I told him not to give it to me but he insisted on giving it to me. It's difficult in those situations. People just don't get this emetophobia thing and it's so hard to describe the fear to them. I suppose it doesn't help that I haven't explained to the vast majority of my friends that I'm an emetophobe, but then I guess it's because I like to appear normal to them even if I'm not
    But I can imagine how daft that conversation is going to sound: "please don't pass that money to me because if you do I'll be paranoid about potentially handling something that has your germs and that will send me into a panic". It's never a line that people are going to take seriously in a pub.

Anyway I don't know how much sleep I'll get tonight now. This is going to be me all uptight for at least the next 24 hours. Swell.

Hope you were ok Zaph - had a similar experience myself today with a work colleague. He wasn't sick in work but I am very paranoid now

Thank you. Yeah I managed to escape getting anything. How about you?

In terms of the actual phobia though it got much worse a few days after this incident. I was in bed one night when I could hear my brother in the bathroom being ill... and he was pretty darn bad. Having an ill person in the house made me mega paranoid for about 3 days but again I escaped getting anything.

All I can say is just be very conscious about what you're touching - don't ever touch your face, use paper towels to turn off taps, 'quarantine' ill people if you can, and keep thinking positively. Do those things and you'll go a long way at beating this.

It seems there's vomitting people everywhere I go at the moment though - even today I was near an ill person (not for very long though I hasten to add!). I'm getting to the point that I'm 'tired' of being worried and I know that worrying doesn't do the body any good. Heck, when my brother was ill last week I nearly threw up through worrying alone, so it seems this phobia can be self defeating.

I know what you mean about the constant worrying thing, I'm like that at the moment. Its like I feel I can worry no more cos I'm fed up with it.

But put me in a room with someone who is ill or has been ill over the last few days I go to pieces

I'm so scared.

My boss has been off with the norovirus, which 4 other members of her family have had too.
    We share an office, and she was in monday and tuesday, even though she wasn't feeling well, and then she was off wednesday and thursday with it, and now she's back.

I'm so scared of catching it I just want to cry.

I feel like I don't even want to take deep breaths, I know that won't help but, you know.

Please help.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information