Thread: Paralysis fear. Is this irrational? Need someone to talk me down

Paralysis fear. Is this irrational? Need someone to talk me down

Hi all. I have a major history of HA and am freaking out. So I injured my lower back playing tennis 3 years ago and didn't really get it checked out. (I know I should so please don't reply to go see a doctor :( )

It's usually fine but if I sleep weird or do major physical activity for an extended period it flares up. And right now I don't know what I did but I can't really bend over or sit down or get up without sharp pain.

My BIGGEST fear is that I'm injuring it further and I'll end up paralyzed. Can you get paralyzed from not getting an injury checked and hurting it more? What if I can't walk for eh rest of my life? Does it work like that, or would I have been paralyzed right away?

I don't know if this has any basis but I'm worried about bones slipping and injuring my spinal cord or something. If anyone has ANY advice it would be so appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Paralysis fear. Is this irrational? Need someone to talk me down

Can you get a trama injury that is aggravated by further trauma and becomes something more? Yes, but it really does depend what you have done. If someone has done something like a spinal fracture, it's a more urgent issue than say a compression of a nerve.

The point should be - you need to see what someone trained says. You've got a legitimate injury here that's being aggravated or impairing your quality of life so it's quite natural to seek help for that. it doesn't have to be what you fear.

Re: Paralysis fear. Is this irrational? Need someone to talk me down

If you can't walk for the rest of your life you will adjust. They've done amazing things with wheelchairs. I am paralyzed from the hips down and have been since May of 2015.

However that said you DO need to see a doctor. You have an injury here and you might have a herniated disk which is treatable but needs to be seen to by a doctor.

My dear friend just had a back surgery because it turns out he broke his back 20 YEARS ago and never saw a doctor and they told him if he had seen them right away? It would have been simple bracing. Honestly you do need to see a doctor.

Thread Information