Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming off Dosulepin - Bad withdrawal

Re: Coming off Dosulepin - Bad withdrawal

Sarah did you try reducing the dose gradually? Maybe go down to 50mg for a few month first and then drop to 25 mg?

hi thank you for both replys in saying the doc was not interested i went a couple of times and thhey asked how i was feeling on them i said fine i think i may have tried to reduse to fast 25 mg a night after a month of this i gaveup as i felt awful since then i have lost my son then my dad and sister not sure if reducing them would affect me worse now but feel i have been on them to long x

Really sorry to hear that Sarah, it must be very hard for you let alone having to deal with medication issues and a GP who seems a bit useless.

Did you mean that you tried to reduce 25mg each night in a row? If so, thats a pretty severe drop. When I phased out Citalopram from 20mg, I went down to 10mg for 2 weeks first.

Your GP should be giving you advice on how to do this though as its their responsibility.

thank you terry yes 25 mg a night for a month the went back up as i was ill xx

It sounds like you dropped from 75mg to 25mg and this might be too severe. You may find it would go more 75mg for X days/weeks, then 50mg for X days/weeks, then 25mg for X days/weeks, then half or completely off.

Its worth having a look around for a phased withdrawal plan, there will probably be some via Google or maybe even on the drugs websites such as Drugs.com.

Iam on 50 mg of this tablet been on 75 for 15 years afraid of changing but heard it's not good for my heart,,I feel very weepy and anxious don't know if it's the tabs or just me ,

I saw my doctor on Friday and NICE guidelines are asking GP's to try to get patients off Dosulepin. I am only taking 25 mg and he suggested that I take 25 mg every other night for few month to see how I manage. Will keep you posted on my progress

Hi all
    I have been on Dosulepin for nearly 15 years! About 6 months ago i started getting ringing in my ears and have started losing my hair! A friend said she thought I`d been on them for far too long!
    I went to see my GP this week and told him I wasn`t happy being on them any longer. He had no qualms about putting me on another antidepressant for PTSD!
    I`ve been on 150mg per night for 15 years. I`ve been advised to just take 75mg per night for one week. Then for one week to take 75mg per night plus one of the new tablets. Then just stop taking the Dosulepin altogether!!
    I have been on 75mg only for 4 nights now and so far have not felt any different apart from my head not feeling so `bunged up`!
    Fingers crossed all will go well! I hope that i will not have any adverse side effects!!

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------

p.s. Some of the side effects are `ringing in ears and hair loss`!!

Smile Re: Coming off Dosulepin - Bad withdrawal

I’ve been on dosulepin for 18 months for anxiety depression and sleeplessness. I want to come off it for various reasons but mostly because I have put on a lot of weight whilst on it. Several years ago I was on Seroxat and found coming off it difficult until I had a major breakthrough in the form of a fabulous book called Optimum Nutrition for the Mind by Patrick Holford. As I gradually came off the anti- depressant I increased my intake of various vitamins minerals and herbal supplements. This worked incredibly well and I noticed no withdrawal symptoms and felt really really good. I’d had a previous bout some years before and the withdrawal symptoms were not nice. I really recommend this book- it made all the difference. Am going to do the same with dosulepin.
    Last edited by Janey3; 23-07-18 at 11:40. Reason: Wrong word

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information