Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 months throat- left side.

5 months throat- left side.

Since February of this year I have had issues with the left side of my throat. There are no bumps or lumps from what I can see but I can feel something when I swallow my saliva but is not present when I swallow food. There is more of an itching than a pain in the left ear as well. Sometimes there is pain. In fact when I drink various green juices my throat tends to sting. Like other posts on here I've noticed that the source of the pain seems just to the left of the adam's apple when I poke or prod from the outside. I went to my dr. and she just cleaned out my ears and told me to come back if it persists. I've also been to the dentist and they saw nothing as well. Where I live it takes forever to get in to see an ENT so it's going to be a while until I get to see one. I don't typically write in but this problem has been bugging me for a while and google just comes up with cancer every time. Also there are some days when I don't feel it at all. And there are some days when the pain also radiates just on the left side so I don't even know if it could be muscular-skeletal? Or there are days when I continuously swallow out of anxiety which makes it worse. I have had health anxiety for so long so that is why I have waited to see the doctor since I no longer know if something is just psychological or real. ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used to smoke, but i quit a over a year and a half ago then switched to e-cigs... then i quit those too. I am 39. any thoughts?
    Last edited by Cusper; 28-06-15 at 22:44.

Re: 5 months throat- left side.

I posted yesterday & have had no replies re similar prob which has put me in a major panic.The difference is that I can feel a swelling on my neck near Adams apple. Mine is on right side & my ear had also been v itchy. It feels as if something is pulling between throat & ear. I also have a slightly hoarse voice & can't sing. I haven't googled as I know it will say the C word. I'm having an endoscopy/ colonoscopy this week for digestive problems . I now feel terrified that it's v serious ! Nobody had replied & I feel v alone. I know how you feel.

How long have you been having this for Autumn? Please let me know how you get on at the dr.'s. I am so sorry you are going through this. It's terrible not knowing and also having google that only leads the way to cancer every time. Have you tried throat losenges? That is the only thing that seems to help me temporarily. My voice is fine there is no hoarseness, it's just the length of time I've been feeling this.

I am definitely concerned about my situation however I know that I do have a pattern of health anxiety so it keeps things in perspective.

Also, for you, it could be just a cyst or an infection. My brother had a cyst removed from his neck and it was nothing. Do you smoke? either way keep me updated on how you feel. I hope you're ok.

Hi thanks for reply. I have had it for approx 3months. I have tried lozenges & they helped a little. I used to smoke but stopped about a year ago.I spoke with an ENT guy today who said that they would need to put a scope up nose & down into throat to check things. Evidently the endoscopy won't be able to check the correct area. I was hoping it would as I wouldn't know anything about it as having a general anaesthetic. I will start to panic having tubes up nose however I know that I will have to let them do it. The trouble we have is trying to refocus - we become like a rabbit trapped in headlight. Health anxiety is an awful condition. I hope you are doing ok !

Just an update on my throat. So my family and I went away for a few weeks and so did my sore throat!! So either it was just health anxiety all of this time, or there is something in my house that i am allergic to. Also my ear problems went away. Just wanted to post this if anyone happens to be going through the same thing

Hi guys, I am experiencing exactly the same thing. Did anyone have any tests or found out what it was?

I have the same issue been like this for 2 months now but feels like forever, dr says its reflux or bacteria strangely no antibiotics are touching it, i google it all the time and the big C gets displayed, my dr refuses to send me to ENT as she says she cant refer me on anxiety but I have been back 9 times!!!

When I breathe in it also feels like I am breathing through a straw....

What on earth is this all about, talk about ruining my days!!

Not sure if antibiotics would touch reflux if it was this, since that's caused by stomach acid, unless your doctor thinks extra stomach acid is the result of a bacterial infection? But anyway, what I was going to suggest was a seasonal allergy perhaps, or sinus problems that could mean gunk irritating your throat from nasal drip. Also, if you feel you really need to see an ENT consultant and can't go privately, can you not seek advice from another doctor at your health centre? Or perhaps visit a walk in clinic where there would be different doctors.

ISB x

Hi

I have consulted two different doctors at my surgery and both have said the same thing.... think they are working together with me & not refer me!

I have made an appointment to go see a private ENT consultant for next week & hopefully he will scope my throat...

I feel like walking into A&E as if feels like I am being choked!

Anxiety symptoms can give you that closed up throat feeling too to be honest, its something called globus hystericus, but I also agree that if you've never seen an ENT consultant before, that you should have it checked out to rule out anything physical and for peace of mind.

ISB x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information