Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the hell-raising singers/bands?

Re: What happened to the hell-raising singers/bands?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It was all rave scene in my day. Jungle, techno, trance, hard-core, military, etc. Never thought much of jungle personally.

Then it got edged out as things went more house. From there it watered down into a, in my opinion, very samey beat that was the end of Ministry of Sound's day to me.

The days of pirate cassettes of appearances at our local place springs to mind. Club Kinetic was big back then but now it's morphed into a Wilkos and Home Bargains.

I can remember my spliff smoker jumpers and seriously wide jeans. Topped off with bandana or funny tassle hat
    I didn't know this was your era too T. It was my uncles too. His room used to be plastered with flyers. Do you remember Dreamscape T? I used to own the originals but misplaced them. Hard to get now. You're bang on the money with Ministry of Sound. Never looked at it that way before, but you're right. I still find House music "samish" today.

I had a Spliffy coat for school, and the jeans. Damn, that brings back some memories!

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Strangely we don't seem to hear about such modern-day acts smashing places up, causing riots, etc, unlike in most past decades.
    That's true. Or, maybe I'm just too old and out of the loop on what the youth are up too.

I remember all the police commotion back in the rave days with illegal parties.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    That's true. Or, maybe I'm just too old and out of the loop on what the youth are up too.

I remember all the police commotion back in the rave days with illegal parties.
    We've had illegal rave parties with police commotion over the course of this pandemic, but it's all a bit trite now as I remember the original scene back in the late 80s-mid-90s era, even though it was never my cup of tea back then.

In fact, I often got ridiculed by my peers at school (and by my younger brother) at the time because I was still listening to stuff from the late 70s-mid-80s era. I was also called a 'poof'/'gaylord' by other pupils/students at school and college because I didn't smoke.

Mind you, there doesn't seem to be any real consensus as to what the 'yoof' of today are generally up to, especially as the vast majority tend to live on social media nowadays.

Breaking into cars, joyriding, nicking car stereos, hubcaps and name badges (especially VW) seemed to be all the rage when I was in my early teens, even though I would have never been seen dead doing such things!

Limp Bizkit
    XD Seriously? They have never been Hell Raisers. They are white clean rappers who pretend to be a rock band. Hell out of all the bands you've listed, only Sex Pistols, Guns N Roses and Ozzy Osbourne were actual hell raisers.

To answer you question, a song that is upbeet/about releationships/or trying be thug (Pop/Rap/Techno) is more marketable to teengaers and their parents money. To make a profit you must also intice the person who is really buying the stuff for their kids. Also the mainstream genres of music today are really easy to make into an ear worm. People think that they like Taylor Swift becuase her song is stuck in thier heads but the song was engineered to be that way. Thus more profits insue. You can't do all of this with music that tells you to disrespect authority, life is hell, etc.

As a metal head, it hurts me when I hear a drab maufactured loopy generic song on the radio when I go out. Music with meaning, soul, reality, experiances in life (good and bad) and a backbone is just not profitable to the main stream audiance and it hurts. But hey, this is the world we live in.

The good thing about the 21st Century is that there is more outlets for a person to get music. And there are allot of Rock/Punk/Metal bands that are new that are releasing stuff that the non mainstream audiance can get.

Quote Originally Posted by akiratheviking View Post

The good thing about the 21st Century is that there is more outlets for a person to get music. And there are allot of Rock/Punk/Metal bands that are new that are releasing stuff that the non mainstream audiance can get.
    You do have a good point there.

Previously (pre-mid-2000s at least) most acts had to rely 100% on major labels, substantial managements, tons of airplay on BBC Radio 1, appearances on TOTP, etc, but (for better or worse) since the latter half of the 2000s, the game has shifted considerably.

The same can also be said about TV, whilst we still do have our old favourites on the main 'historical' channels (BBC 1, 2, ITV (1), Channel 4, and Channel 5), we're now spoilt for choice with a plethora of other channels, coupled with the advent of YouTube of course.

Though in some ways, back in the pre-90s era when there was a choice of only 4 channels (3 before late 1982), it did ironically seem like 'less is more' as there was the quality rather than the quantity of TV programming, and therefore more 'collective' due to lesser choice.

However, I digress.

The same can also be said about TV, whilst we still do have our old favourites on the main 'historical' channels (BBC 1, 2, ITV (1), Channel 4, and Channel 5), we're now spoilt for choice with a plethora of other channels, coupled with the advent of YouTube of course.
    I can personally remember a time when there were THREE TV channels. These days I can spend an hour trawling the trillions of channels and not find anything.

Also, while I am a serial binge-watcher, I do miss the anticipation of waiting a week for the next instalment of whatever I'm watching. That (and music) used to help to keep me going throughout the week?

I do think that having all these channels is too much for my brain to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I can personally remember a time when there were THREE TV channels. These days I can spend an hour trawling the trillions of channels and not find anything.

Also, while I am a serial binge-watcher, I do miss the anticipation of waiting a week for the next instalment of whatever I'm watching. That (and music) used to help to keep me going throughout the week?

I do think that having all these channels is too much for my brain to handle.
    That's exactly my point, often 'less is more'.

I also believe that's why both music and TV were at their creative high point in the 70s and 80s. From the 90s onwards both started to lose their way IMO, plus increasingly seemed to have to rely on edginess and shock value in order to appeal to the massess, e.g, lazy overuse of profanity, sex, violence, etc, and nearly everything seemingly pushed to the max!

That's exactly my point, often 'less is more'.

I also believe that's why both music and TV were at their creative high point in the 70s and 80s. From the 90s onwards both started to lose their way IMO, plus increasingly seemed to have to rely on edginess and shock value in order to appeal to the massess, e.g, lazy overuse of profanity, sex, violence, etc, and nearly everything seemingly pushed to the max!
    Well they certainly don't make programmes like they used to Lenco - I remember when BBC2 was the channel of choice for serious drama, intellectual debate and anything else that was non quite mainstream public. BBC1 was light entertainment and the News, and ITV was games-shows, popular sit-coms and soaps. However, since the last decent throws of Channel 4 in the 90s, programming across the board has gone downhill - and yes as you say 'lazy'. I rarely watch general programming these days - better off watching re-runs of oldies and goodies on Yesterday or Dave - can never have enough of re-runs of Porridge, Lovejoy and Sharpe!

I also believe that's why both music and TV were at their creative high point in the 70s and 80s. From the 90s onwards both started to lose their way IMO
    I don't agree that musically the 90s were not as creative as previous decades because Indie music hit mainstream in the 90s with bands like REM, Nirvana, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Stone Roses, Cranberries etc and this was in stark contrast to all that boyband shite that was around at the time..

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I don't agree that musically the 90s were not as creative as previous decades because Indie music hit mainstream in the 90s with bands like REM, Nirvana, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Stone Roses, Cranberries etc and this was in stark contrast to all that boyband shite that was around at the time..
    No offence intended to you about the 90s era, Nora.

Most of the acts you just mentioned were never quite my cup of tea but each to one's own.

Having said that there's bound to be certain acts whose music I really enjoy that might not quite be your cup of tea.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information