Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thirdHand Smoke

thirdHand Smoke

I have been able to no react to this issue for a long time, I even use blankets from my parents with thirdhand smoke on them. But not I am all of a sudden freaking out and want to wash all my bed linen (will be very pricey) I know studies do not show or prove much yet but from what I've read it is a carcinogen and quite toxic. Anyone else have an opinion or a study that links to it being less scary?

Re: thirdHand Smoke

You had control over this and now you are catastrophising again. What's changed in your life?

Are you under stress? Has something happened to someone you love?

Look for the trigger.

All of a sudden
    In my experience, HA doesn't work that way. There has to be a trigger.

I am not sure, but it as also triggered my OCD as well. It could be that I started a new job (but that was may) or it could be that I have a test of my driving skills (a full license) and am very nervous to fail. I require my car to succeed in life and to be employed. I am not sure but work gave me a week off to re collect my thoughts. Everything is going insane.I think it may be the whole license and the combination of starting a new job that is "seasonal" so my employment is not guranteed, my last job I was guranteed employment and hours.

Nora thank you for talking with me

I washed one blanket but am trying to not wash the others. I keep telling myself that thirdhand smoke on a few bed linens is not the end of the world. But the anxiety is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by SEANML View Post
    I am not sure, but it as also triggered my OCD as well. It could be that I started a new job (but that was may) or it could be that I have a test of my driving skills (a full license) and am very nervous to fail. I require my car to succeed in life and to be employed. I am not sure but work gave me a week off to re collect my thoughts. Everything is going insane.I think it may be the whole license and the combination of starting a new job that is "seasonal" so my employment is not guranteed, my last job I was guranteed employment and hours.
    Stresses like these will do it. They allow the door to open to the HA gremlin. Just work through it methodically and rationally.

See it as an opportunity to learn and put into practice what worked for you before.

been trying. It is half working. I am refusing to wash the blankets that have the third hand smoke. Its just driving my anxiety up the wall. I am fighting as hard as I can. Scared for more demons to come. I pushed a few fears away but some are just too strong.

I am refusing to wash the blankets that have the third hand smoke. Its just driving my anxiety up the wall. I am fighting as hard as I can. Scared for more demons to come. I pushed a few fears away but some are just too strong.
    This is a contamination phobia (OCD) issue I'd say... The two are related (HA & OCD) but your core issue is contamination.

Have you had any therapy for it?

waiting on a phyc. Takes awhile

waiting on a phyc. Takes awhile
    Depending on how bad you are at the moment - maybe things could be pushed along a bit quicker? Maybe speak to your doctor?

What do you mean by "washing your bed linen will be very pricey"?

I meant it would cost alot to wash all my bed blankets. Just spoke to my landlord about my freaking out. He said he wont be mad if I wash all my blankets. BUT I spoke to my sleep dr and he gave me reassurance that thirdhand smoke on my blankets is "like trying to become a millionaire with a 5cent lemonade stand. Basically the odds are so slim that there none"

I meant it would cost alot to wash all my bed blankets. Just spoke to my landlord about my freaking out. He said he wont be mad if I wash all my blankets. BUT I spoke to my sleep dr and he gave me reassurance that thirdhand smoke on my blankets is "like trying to become a millionaire with a 5cent lemonade stand. Basically the odds are so slim that there none"
    In contrast, when my mother died, one of the things I treasured most was her little red scarf which reeked of Estee Lauder and Silk Cut. I breathed it in every day until the smell was no longer there...

Your doctor is right. The odds are so low it ain't worth bothering about, but that's easier said than done with OCD, right?

Obviously, blankets should be washed regularly but there needs to be a line between normal hygiene and OCD.

I hope therapy will help you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information