Thread: Magical Thinking OCD

Magical Thinking OCD

Hi, this is my first post here. I have ocd where I get thoughts and to prevent those bad things from happening I have to do ritual. Its very debilitating because every time I start something I have bad thoughts and I could not do that thing, for example, if I am typing on computer, if I have a bad thought while typing( this almost always happen), I will have to stop and touch water( the ritual).
    So if I have thoughts within one second, it will mean I will have to to ritual as many times I have them. It has reduced me to a mere puppet.
    I find it impossible to not do the ritual, in response to the bad thoughts because thoughts are so scary and obnoxious, it seems too much to not do anything about them.
    Hopefully someone here can help me figure this out!

Re: Magical Thinking OCD

Hi,
    Welcome to the boards first of all.
    OCD is horrible I've been through the type that you describe and it was a nightmare. I still struggle but got better by taking medication. Are you taking anything? I'd recommend going to a Dr to discuss these things because there is a lot of help available but I think it is useful to have someone experienced to guide you through
    Best wishes

Hi
    Thank you, how did you overcome it? May be I can use some ideas that you have to deal with magical thinking.
    I am not taking any meds , or even been to a doctor for this. I am looking for a doc as there is extreme lack of therapist who deal with OCD where I am. So I will have to travel somewhere far to get therapy. I read and try to deal with it on my own.

Can thoughts make things happen?
    It seems to me that by just having a bad thought, that thought will come true. Like, I will have this thought, x(someone i know) will go to hell.
    And then to stop it from happening i will touch water. i can only continue to do things if i undo the thought. it seems so bizarre, and no one really has this type of ocd!

Hi Aliyah,

I have been through tons of this too, it's called Magical Thinking:

https://www.ocduk.org/ocd/types/

Magical Thinking Intrusive Thoughts
    Magical Thinking Intrusive Thoughts – is the fear is that even thinking about something bad will make it more likely to happen – sometimes also called ‘thought-action fusion’.
    Sufferers are beset by intrusive bad thoughts. They try to dispel them by performing rituals – magic rituals, in effect – that are often bizarre and time-consuming and involve linking actions or events that could not possibly be related to each other. For example having the thought ‘I may strangle someone’ is regarded as being as reprehensible as actually strangling a person. Another example is believing that simply imagining a horrific car crash will increase the likelihood of such a crash taking place, or a person may feel that if they don’t count to ten ‘just right’ harm will come to a family member. Other examples of magical thinking, or thought-action fusion intrusive thoughts include:
    A certain colour or number has good or bad luck associated with it.
    Certain days have good or bad luck associated with them.
    A loved one’s death can be predicted.
    One’s thoughts can cause disasters to occur.
    Stepping on cracks in the pavement can make bad things happen.
    Whatever comes to mind can come true.
    Breaking chain letters will actually bring bad luck.
    Attending a funeral will bring death.
    One can inadvertently cause harm to others with thoughts or carelessness.
    Hearing the word ‘death’ will mean repeating the word ‘life’ to prevent death.
    In each example listed above, the thoughts and events happening could not possibly ever be linked, but the person with OCD will believe that this possibility does exist, and as a result, this will cause them immense stress and anxiety. As a result, their silent internal compulsive behaviours will take hours, and often prevent them interacting with anyone else during this time.

Whilst it may seem like not many people talk about it on here you will find there are lots of threads were you can see it within the context of the themes they are struggling with e.g. the HA threads often have it in some form.

This was what I went through and you can see mine in there (post #31:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...=169503&page=4

I had the same problem, only in another form. Well, it`s not that i "had" it, I still have to overcome thoughts, although it is now easier. What I took notice of: your health is important. When you have a lack of sleep or food, or have too much stress, you suffer more. It is important to remember. Also, you may have a problem with hormones or neurotransmitters, in this case Dr will prescribe you medications and you will feel better.
    As for the psychological side, I just ignored "magical" thoughts when it was possible, sometimes explained myself that nothing would happen if I do this or this thing. And even when something happened, it was not because I did the wrong thing. It happened because life is not ONLY good, bad happens anyway with anyone.
    My advice is to undergo medical examination. It is able to find roots of your problem.

Put your thoughts in to perspective. Use the law of probability and common sense to work out if something is going to happen or not.
    Does thinking about something make it happen? No, there's no evidence telekinesis exists in any way shape or form. Your thoughts do not control anything, unless of course you consciously decide to act on them of course!
    Does bad luck exist? In a way, it does exist, but not as some sort of mystical 'karma', instead, it's just something that isn't likely to happen that you perceive as being a bad event happening.
    I hope this helps you

Thread Information