Thread: Mole on Right hand? Appeared a few months ago? Maybe it's grown?

Mole on Right hand? Appeared a few months ago? Maybe it's grown?

Hi guys,

I'm in my 20s and kinda freaking out lol
    Had a mole which came up a month or two ago.
    It's still tiny but I'm not sure it has changed.

Older photo (from a few weeks ago): https://imgur.com/a/4Ad0jtq
    New photo: https://imgur.com/a/wIcxj26

Just looking at those photos it looks like it's changed?
    My who I see where I'm living right now said he can maybe take it out if it grows. He said it's still tiny.

I've had another GP look at it initially (a month ago) and he said it's tiny.

Just wondering what you guys think?

Re: Mole on Right hand? Appeared a few months ago? Maybe it's grown?

You do know that people develop moles and benign skin changes throughout their (particularly early) adult life? My daughter, and her father are prone to these small brown moles and year by year they get a few more small ones. What is on your hand is not only absolutely tiny, but it hasn't changed in any way thats significant. If it has changed, its a few cells wider on the top left portion of the mole, its practically a freckle at that size. At some point when moles appear they do have to grow to appear.

Not sure why a GP would be removing it, if they are not basing that on signs of anything wrong with it at all. Patches, marks, blemishes and assorted things like this,as you get older, pop up all over the place. Removing all of them is not an option as you'll end up with chunks removed from yourself all over. Melanoma is one fear that I kind of understand really 'getting to people'. Even when you look at those images online of 'is it a mole or a skin cancer' it can be really subjective and you can easily convince yourself that you have an irregular edge, or different colour parts or some of the worrying factors that everyone has had drummed into them to look for. I have had moments of concern myself about the ones my family have developed, and thought 'is it too dark', 'has it changed', 'are there different shades on it'? 'is it irregular' ? There are so many horror stories of cancer appearing and spreading from moles, that it can drive people who are hyper aware into obsessive checking and worry states.

However, you've had two GPs look at this tiny mole (or beauty spot as we called them in my younger days!), you are clearly monitoring yourself for changes, but I honestly think that if you really knew or thought something was wrong with it you wouldn't be asking on an anxiety forum. I mean REALLY knew, deep down inside, and had a feeling of 'Ooo that's not looking right' as opposed to 'I wonder if it is alright, I don't really know....' Leave it, come back to it in a few months and reconsider.
    Last edited by Carys; 29-10-18 at 03:46.

Thank you for your message.

I guess it's the health anxiety that makes me move from one mole to another.

I have also had another mole which appeared ~1-2 months ago on my left arm. It's tiny but on one edge it looks darker/black.

Just wondering if that's normal or not? aka anything to worry about

Your skin sounds like that of my daughter, and she's the same age, every few months she gets a few more tiny ones (like her father). Yes, sometimes they can look a bit darker in places if the skin is thicker/more melanin is in one area.

Thread Information