Thread: lymph node fears

lymph node fears

Hello, I have suffered with health anxiety for a while. Since I was 16 to be exact, I’m 20 now. I remember using forums when I was anxious back then and feeling comforted as people can relate to me, so I am back. I got sick in the beginning of October and it took nearly forever to go away, so I went to the doctors and was told I had a sinus infection/ allergies that cause a post nasal drip and cough (which is finally going away with my allergy medicine and after antibiotics) however, I noticed I had a swollen lymph node halfway through my sickness, about the size of a pea on my neck. I usually inspect myself often. I brought up my concern of my lymph node to my doctor who said he antibiotics would have it go away, well it’s been a good week since I finished my antibiotics and the lymph node is STILL here, same size and now is even a bit painful. Yes, I have been poking it a lot and googling a lot but I can’t help but fear I have cancer that has metastasized to my lymph nodes. I can’t get a doctor appointment for a while (my insurance sucks) and just need some comforting. Shouldn’t this lymph node have gone away by now? Or atleast stop hurting?

Re: lymph node fears

It can take a few weeks even after meds for a node to return to normal. Problem is, it won't return to normal or stop hurting if you keep poking and prodding it

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Poking will definitely make it hurt. I know it is hard, but you have to stop doing that because it makes it worse and that makes it harder for the doctor to assess.

I'm not sure a lymph node would go away in a week. I've had a swollen node twice before when I had bad bug bites on my face, and I think it took longer than that to go down after the bites healed up. I think at the time my doctor said to give it a month.

Can you call your doctor's office and ask how long you should give it? My doctor's office has a nurse who takes phone questions like this and checks with the doctor if needed. You could call and ask if there is someone you can talk to for a follow up question.

I have a lymph node that's been up in my neck for 5 years. My Dr said it will probably never go down. I can't even remember being ill, and that is what started my HA 5 years ago. The lymph node has stayed the same size in all that time, and I'm still here so I guess my Dr must have been right.
    Try to stop worrying, I know it's easier said than done x

I thought pea sized nodes aren't actually swollen? I can feel 6 pea sized nodes in my neck for a few years now. They don't go away. One got bigger a few weeks ago when my throat was hurting and is now back to pea sized again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiatyrah View Post
    I thought pea sized nodes aren't actually swollen?
    That's correct. A "pea" sized node is not swollen. When I had cancer, the node in my neck went from a small grape to looking like I had the mumps. You don't have to feel around, tilt your neck etc. to feel or see a swollen node.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information