Thread: Terrified after blood results showing inflammation

Terrified after blood results showing inflammation

I just got a call from my doctor... I had some bloodwork done the other Friday, as I was experiencing cramping all over my body, and some aching.

I got a call while I was on the train home saying that the results were "overall satisfactory" but there was some kind of deficiency in calcium or potassium, which I can rationalize as my diet hasn't been great during exam season.

However she also said something about inflammation... and I'm now freaking out uncontrollably. Doesn't that usually indicate a serious disease of the organs? Or cancer? I was recovering from a minor sniffling bug when I had the blood taken, but my fiance, who is training to be a nurse, said it's not that, but doesn't know what it could be.

I'm kind of thinking/hoping that it's something very easily controllable and not serious like an underactive thyroid, as I've been feeling fatigued as well, combined with the aching/cramping suggests that... But given the sudden onset, I'm now worried about thyroid cancer... plus I've lost weight. Not unintentionally, as I'm a student, and I've been having to cut back on my food budget... But still, I'm really panicky about the prospect of thyroid cancer, or some kind of cancer. Too terrified to even Google it

Any support/advice would much appreciated right now

Re: Terrified after blood results showing inflammation

Until you speak with her, there's no sense in speculating and sending yourself into a panic. Apparently, it didn't sound urgent so I would hang onto that. The deficiencies are easily remedied with supplements. If it is a thyroid issue, it's very common and easily treatable as well so....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

If they suspected cancer your results wouldn't be "overall satisfactory".

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdawson View Post

Yeah... Yeah you're right. I never actually thought about that. That's made me feel a lot better actually.

I'm still a bit nervy, like it could be early stages that's why it's not showing up more prominently. But yeah, I still feel better.

Another thing that bothers me is they gave me an appointment for tomorrow... I usually have to wait like a week at this place, which makes me wonder if they gave me an expedited/emergency appointment. But then again, I'm usually off weird days, so that's why I usually have to wait I think...

Usually when they say inflammation they mean your C reactive protein is raised. There are loadssssss of causes for this. But your doctor is best placed to answer your concerns.

Really if there was an indication of anything more serious going on, they wouldn't be leaving you in the dark.

Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    Usually when they say inflammation they mean your C reactive protein is raised. There are loadssssss of causes for this. But your doctor is best placed to answer your concerns.

Really if there was an indication of anything more serious going on, they wouldn't be leaving you in the dark.

Good luck

Oh, so it's not necessarily serious? For some reason, I had it in my mind that inflammation = serious.

Could it be the cold I was coming over when they were taken? Or was my fiance right that it couldn't be?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdawson View Post
    That's actually a kind of funny thought. Imagine a doctor giving news like that: "well the bloods are overall satisfactory,except for this minor cancer thing that had shown up".

They would call you in straight away if it were suspected to be something as serious as cancer

Yes CRP is often increased with infection!! Just ask your doctor what exactly was inflamed (I'm sure she'll say CRP) and then explain to her that its making you anxious.

Keep us updated but I'm 99.99999% sure there's nothing going on here

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    Yes CRP is often increased with infection!! Just ask your doctor what exactly was inflamed (I'm sure she'll say CRP) and then explain to her that its making you anxious.

Keep us updated but I'm 99.99999% sure there's nothing going on here

Thank you! I do feel a lot better now. The only thing left that's bugging me is the fact that j could have sworn she said something else was found to be high after the inflammation, but I was struggling to pay attention by that point cause I fixated on the inflammation part. I'm trying not to think about it. My appointment is early tomorrow, so I suppose I don't have to worry for long.

I had blood tests s couple of weeks ago and my ESR level (inflammatory marker) was raised to about 35. I had another blood test 2 days later and it was back down to normal (7). Dr said it could be just random inflammation flare up in body or it could be that my body was just fighting off a normal infection. My son had the flu at the time so maybe my body was fighting against that. There could be many very minor reasons for CRP or ESR to be raised. I understand why you’re worrying as I did too but when the other results were fine it sounds like it will be nothing concerning.

Thread Information