Page 54 of 290 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Have I got rectal cancer?

Re: Have I got rectal cancer?

No, at 18 you're not fully grown - the brain in particular doesn't reach full maturity until the mid-20s, which I assume might account for fluctuations in body chemistry.

You've been told not to worry, and honestly, in your position I think I'd let myself be happy with that.

Thank the lord there were no tumour markers or anything found though

And she could've been lying just to make me feel better

Toby, doctors aren't in the practice of 'lying to make people feel better', it goes against their code of ethics. So, where does that leave you now, is the concern over or does she want to do anything else ?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    No, at 18 you're not fully grown - the brain in particular doesn't reach full maturity until the mid-20s, which I assume might account for fluctuations in body chemistry.

You've been told not to worry, and honestly, in your position I think I'd let myself be happy with that.
    Thank you very much! I think this is enough to stop me worrying over Christmas at least

So glad to hear it! I really hope you have a wonderful holiday season.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Toby, doctors aren't in the practice of 'lying to make people feel better', it goes against their code of ethics. So, where does that leave you now, is the concern over or does she want to do anything else ?
    I have to re-test in 4 weeks just to monitor it. Or to see if it was a human/machine error in relation to equipment or if something got in the test or something and changed the results.

What does it mean when they want to monitor it? Is it cause they're concerned?

I'll ask for another call tomorrow to ask about that because if they want me to monitor it, surely it's a worry?

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    So glad to hear it! I really hope you have a wonderful holiday season.
    You too!!!

No doctor would lie to make you feel better. FACT.

She told you not to worry about it. FACT.

Everything else was fine. FACT.

That sounds pretty good to me but you will focus on the slightly raised element of one test. That's HA for you. FACT.

Monitoring just means they want to follow it up to be sure it goes. The alternative is they boot you out and wait for the patient to raise anything. They will monitor for all sorts of complaints we go down there with even those expected to be resolved with a simple antibiotic or anti inflammatory med.

It's just good practice.

Growing was on the list I saw. These readings seem to be tied to a lot of bone related stuff.

Thanks Pulisa and Terry.

I was stupid not to ask what my exact levels were because if it were only “slightly raised” surely they wouldn’t be concerned since “slightly” indicates just outside of normal, maybe enough to be considered normal even though it’s out of range but only by a small amount.

I do feel better now but I still feel concerned that there’s no sign of inflammation, as far as blood tests can tell, which means no infection which means it must be down to either something like piles or a fissure or a tumour causing the blood.

If it is only SLIGHTLY raised I’m not that worried, but how slightly? By 30-50 above normal level? That’s quite a lot

Maybe I’m overthinking it but the past few days have been traumatic for me, I actually accepted that I was going to die soon, now I’m slowly accepting that I might not but damn! Idk how to feel

Also 18 year old’s bones wouldn’t still be growing would they? So maybe the levels aren’t raised because of growth

And the next blood test will be a hurdle of its own..

What does it mean when they want to monitor it? Is it cause they're concerned?

I'll ask for another call tomorrow to ask about that because if they want me to monitor it, surely it's a worry?
    Toby, remember when we advised you a while back to bullet point the things you wanted to say to the doctor, when you met her....well it was to make sure that you covered everything you needed and wanted to. LOL The same applies to phone calls with the doctor, and this would save you finishing the call and not having asked what you wanted to ask. For many people, they have a doctor on the phone or see them in person and they don't end up asking and responding to the questions at the time - a kind of rabbit in headlights response. What I'm saying is that you really shouldn't be needing to book another call for the following day, as you should be covering everything in one call if you can. You come on here after the call and ask questions that only one person can really answer for you - your GP. ;o)

This ALP thing is complicated, from the brief bit of reading I have done. It seems most connected to the bones, gallbladder and liver, but it honestly seems that it can give slightly high results for loads of reasons as I said from cirrohsis of the liver to vitamin deficiences, colitis and everything inbetween.....and not being medical I wouldn't even dare to hazard guesses on it. The article did say this though (in medical news)..

Slightly irregular ALP levels are usually no cause for concern.

On a separate theme.....how are your bowels nowadays? (should I even be bringing this up )

Page 54 of 290 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread Information