Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain under left rib and also underneath left shoulder blade

Pain under left rib and also underneath left shoulder blade

Hi everyone,

Unusually enough I'm not posting something hysterical about bowel cancer but something is niggling me and I was wondering if anyone could share similar experiences?

I've suffered with weird sensations under my left rib since August 2011, it was this starting that caused me to have my most serious HA breakdown (as in not eating sleeping or leaving the house for weeks). At the time I was given the works, ultrasound and X ray, countless physical exams and bloods. All fine. GP said it was IBS. As the anxiety gradually decreased, so did the senation. However it has bothered me on and off since then and now the sensation has changed to a burning one. It's not constant but is there every day. Often it's worse when I bend a particular way. I know I struggle with trapped wind in this area (which is common with IBS sufferers.) Apart from this sensation there are no accompanying worrying symptoms, no bowel changes or loss of appetite/ weight.

In addition, since my son was born 20 months ago, I've had some issues with a burning pain under my left shoulder blade. It's worse when I stand for long periods of time but not particularly exacerbated by movement. I hold my son on this side and he is extremely heavy! So the doc said it was very likely muscular and to take ibuprofen and see a physio. Neither of which I've done because I was sceptical that this was the problem which is bad I know. My ribs on this side are now painful to touch, mostly in the chest area. I'm having a teeny bit of heartburn and acid and burping.

I had blood taken in January and all was normal.

Both of these issues do seem worse when I'm stressed and I think about it all the time which I know won't help.

In the back of my mind I'm worried about the pancreas or bowel but feel that this has gone on so long now that if it was something that serious I'd be feeling worse.

Anyway, it would be really helpful to hear from other people who might have suffered with the same.

thanks,

x

Re: Pain under left rib and also underneath left shoulder blade

This sounds exactly like me! The only difference being that I've also had loose stools since my son was born (7 months ago) and the rest of the pains have only been going on about 2 months. (I've had ibs for a few years too)

I've had endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound, chest xray and multiple blood tests. I too have been very worried about pancreas. Regarding the back pain, I've had this the last few weeks. Have seen physio and apparently this is classic area in the shoulder blade and upper back for mothers of young children. I had mri of spine too and upper back all fine.

I went back to gastroenterologist today for review and he has reassured me that one of the tests would have shown something if there was any growths etc. He said it must be more to do with function of organs (in a benign but just annoying way). He prescribed me pancreatic enzymes and also told me to have slippery elm, aloe vera juice, and probiotics. He will review me again in 6 weeks. The back issue has been put down to purely result of strain from lifting baby and turning in bad positions. Overall the whole lot is largely put down to stress though as well apparently.

Good luck with getting yours sorted, if you find out a particular cause let us know too as our symptoms do seem a bit of a mystery!

This sounds very much like me as well. I've had pressure under my left rib for about seven weeks, and it turned into burning and sharp pains a few weeks ago.

I also have a 21 month old, who is getting quite heavy...

I've got to run, but I'll post more later.
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

Thanks bulan, I really look forward to hearing from you x

Me to! I have a 17 month old! Could having a baby be the answering to these health anxieties?!

Me too, mines on my right side though, it feels like a permanent dull ache, I been worrying about pancreatic cancer but listening to you girls makes me less panicky. I have a 2 year old xxx

Seems to be a recurring theme for Mom's with young ones that get carried around Hmmmm

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi Fishmanpa
    How come you're all ways positive and have a logical reason for things lol wish i could think like that instead of immediate panic xxx

I just feel like saying something about poo just to make him extra happy ; )

It's very comforting that so many people in similar situations are saying similar things. Can I just clarify- are people getting the burning pain under the ribs too?

Me too i have a 7 months old. My whole left side is feels different than right side.arm .shoulder. side. Breast. Is this normal. But why we all is mom has young baby. Is that something to do with. Birth or is something wrong with us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information