Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS fear for the first time... tingling in chin/lips

MS fear for the first time... tingling in chin/lips

So yeah for about a week now I have had a tingling/buzzing sensation in the lower face, mostly chin and lips.

I've never ever had this symptom before and randomly noticed it driving home from work last monday.

I do crack my neck a lot, I twitch a lot (eyelids especially) and my jaw locks and pops when I eat.

I stupidly googled and MS came up. I've never suffered from a neurological fear before, it's always been the big C for me.

Anyone ever suffered from this? I'm a GP avoider so really only wanna use that as a last resort! x

Re: MS fear for the first time... tingling in chin/lips

I've been through this - I've had tingles all over and it was put down to anxiety (though it was suggested I had a slight B12 deficiency too). It's a very common anxiety symptom, and one of those things where the more you focus on it, the worse it gets.

Soo this symptom has reappeared after 3 months!

I've been dealing with this for about 6 weeks. Never in my years of HA have I ever had this tingling/numbness/decreased sensation feel in my face. It was on the right side, affecting right half of bottom lip, right side of chin, and right jaw line. Jaw line was also very sore and achy. If I'm being honest...I completely and totally melted down. It was the worst panic I've worked myself into in a while. I'm afraid to even say this, but googling numb chin is terrifying. Please don't do it!!

I mentioned it to my GP and Physical Therapist and they both gave me "hmmm". GP checked blood levels and she said the B12 was good, but when I looked in the portal it was only 245, which is on the VERY low side of normal. So, I ordered some B12 tablets and have noticed a difference since taking them. Also, the anxiety caused me to clench my teeth constantly and I developed TMJ-like symptoms which didn't help. I have finally "risen above" the panic, so to speak, and I notice the tingling/numbness has gotten A LOT better.

I know its unnerving, but try not to focus on it so much!

Thanks Dubmom. It's a very odd sensation and spikes my anxiety majorly. I don't really have the numbness, just the tingly/buzzing sensation! Makes me freak out! I will pick up a b12 vitamin and see if it makes a difference! I really don't wanna see the GP!

Quote Originally Posted by Dubmom View Post
    I looked in the portal it was only 245, which is on the VERY low side of normal.
    Can you see how you contributed to your own anxiety? Instead of just accepting the doctor's word, you decided to "research" it yourself. But if the doctor isn't worried, why should you be? Also, your result was in the normal range. The fact it was "on the VERY low side of normal" does not change the fact that it was normal, and you aren't qualified to interpret what those numbers mean for you. You are, of course, qualified to make yourself worried about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrschurchill View Post
    Thanks Dubmom. It's a very odd sensation and spikes my anxiety majorly. I don't really have the numbness, just the tingly/buzzing sensation! Makes me freak out! I will pick up a b12 vitamin and see if it makes a difference! I really don't wanna see the GP!
    I wouldn't waste your time with the B12. You only need a supplement if you're deficient. Yeah, your symptoms are sometimes indicative of a B12 deficiency, but why waste money on something you may not need? Surely it makes more sense to find out if you need it before buying it.

At the end of the day, tingling/buzzing are right out of anxiety's classic symptoms. I've had them. Many, many people here have had them. I'd bet that's what's causing your symptoms, too. Obviously, I can't be certain, so you'd have to go to the doctor to get a definitive diagnosis. That one, I'm afraid, is your call.
    Last edited by ServerError; 04-10-17 at 20:36.

I appreciate the comment. It's hard to talk myself down when I'm caught up in it.

I suppose it did disappear for 3 months so if it was a horrible terminal illness like MS or a Brain Tumour it probably wouldn't have done that.

Ok... calm down time!

I would say the three month gap is pretty revealing.

Yeah I know. Just an absolutely horrible feeling! X

Don't give these feelings too much attention-they are pretty common with anxiety as everyone is saying. Also don't waste your money on supplements unless blood tests indicate that you should. Server has given you some excellent insight and advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information