Thread: Terrified about Lung cancer

Terrified about Lung cancer

I'm a 35 year old male. I was a smoker for about 10 years off and on. Prior to quitting about 3 years ago, I was smoking the most I ever did. (about a pack of 20 cigarettes a day). This period lasted about a year. Since quitting smoking, I have been vaping a fair bit.

About a week ago, I started having issues breathing. Since I have spontaneous bouts of asthma, I use an inhaler. This always works. (Since quitting cigarettes, the asthma attacks are very infrequent) In this case, the inhaler would work for a short time, and then I would start having trouble again. It feels like there is something in the right upper part of my chest. There is a tightness there. This comes and goes throughout the day. I also have sore spots in my chest on both sides, but mostly the right. I can feel the lymph nodes under the skin. ( I have been trying not to touch them too much) I have been experiencing mild pain in my shoulders and upper back that comes and goes. The most worrying symptoms are that I have been feeling tired and weak, and I have lost my appetite. When I do eat, I feel a bit nauseated.

I don't have a cough or cold. No headaches and no fever. I have a history of health anxiety, and I have been trying to ignore these symptoms, but it has been a bit over a week now and every morning I hope to wake up feeling well. Some days I do, but the next day, it starts again.

Re: Terrified about Lung cancer

Hi,

I would see your Dr as it may be heart related, just to be on the safe side. Tell your Dr your fears and I'm sure he/she will send you for a chest X-Ray if it's warranted. Mostly I suspect it's your HA but you may need another type of inhaler.

Your symptoms are not those of lung cancer plus you are too young. My daughter (32) has largely given up smoking, but does still have the odd one, so I now how hard it is to give up. Vaping (along as it's not nicotine), is preferable to smoking.

ps. Neither my ex-husband or I smoked.

JUst see a doctor. Lung cancer is unlikely at your age. The more important thing is that you are having symptoms that are causing you problems, and they need to be treated, even if totally benign. This could be related to your asthma, and maybe you need different meds. You could have an infection. Whatever it is, this warrants a visit and a good exploration. Try not to think cancer unless a doctor tells you to! I know it's hard, but there is no reason to jump there!!!

I just saw the doctor. He said that it was likely due to a combination of anxiety and acid reflux. He checked my lymph nodes and said they were normal and that my lungs were clear. Now it's just a matter of me accepting what he said.

I completely understand.im currently freaked out. I smoked off and on for years, but quit 15+ years ago. Two weeks ago I was cleaning my yard and inhaled a bunch of leaf dust. Had a violent coughing fit that left my chest sore. On top of that, my 4 children and myself have seemed to come down with everything from croup to severe congestion. My concern is with the trickle/tickle in my throat and into my chest that seems to come and go. It started out as a burning sensation when I would enhale on the left side, now it has changed to a tickle that comes and goes on the right side. Starts towards the back of my throat and stops toward the top of my peck, center of chest. The sensation is gone in the morning if I sleep elevated on my back, and can switch sides depending on if I sleep on my side. I have a cough and a decadale long history if long lasting upper respiratory virus infections, but after 2 weeks still lots of drainage and now I am very worried about lung cancer, but do see my doctor in 2 weeks, but am just stricken with panic

Quote Originally Posted by Amithrius View Post
    I just saw the doctor. He said that it was likely due to a combination of anxiety and acid reflux. He checked my lymph nodes and said they were normal and that my lungs were clear. Now it's just a matter of me accepting what he said.
    What did he recommend to treat it? Did he suggest dietary changes and/or a PPI? What about therapy for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information