Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Back at it again... New skin worry..

Re: Back at it again... New skin worry..

So, another example of how messed up I am and feel. I am fighting the worry about my back mole.. because I can see it directly, I had to try to point it out to the doctor. That little voice of doubt sneaks in and says that he didn't look at the one that scared me.. maybe he saw a different mole.

Mind you, I don't think I see any others in the vicinity of where I was point out, but that worry still is there..

He saw it. He’s trained in finding moles, he isn’t going to miss one somewhere as obvious as your back.

- C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew

Quote Originally Posted by lm48 View Post
    He saw it. He’s trained in finding moles, he isn’t going to miss one somewhere as obvious as your back.
    Well... by back, it was more... uh... posterior.
    That said, you point stands. I told him where it was, he had me undress to see it, so i think its reasonable he did. Its just the anxiety.... yeah..

Sigh.. this is literally killing me. Tuesday has passed, and still no call from either derm. My derm appointment on the 3rd was at the end of the day.. so I realize nothing likely happened with it until the 6th. And I am sure my Sat slicing didn't go anywhere that day..

But still.. I read stories of people getting results in 24 or 48 hours... And my mind assumes the worst since this is taking so long. It must be horrible if it is taking days to process, right? Sigh ....

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    S
    But still.. I read stories of people getting results in 24 or 48 hours... And my mind assumes the worst since this is taking so long. It must be horrible if it is taking days to process, right? Sigh ....
    Well, the longer you wait, the better the result. They inform you right away about urgent/serious issues (like skin cancer). When it is all clear, they kick you down the line and deal with more pressing issues.

Therefore, the fact that you are waiting almost ten days for results makes me even more convinced your mole is 100% benign.

Margaret Thatcher

Sigh.. this is literally killing me. Tuesday has passed, and still no call from either derm. My derm appointment on the 3rd was at the end of the day.. so I realize nothing likely happened with it until the 6th. And I am sure my Sat slicing didn't go anywhere that day..

I don’t know how it works in the US but in the UK results can take up to 2 months, benign or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrash View Post
    Well, the longer you wait, the better the result. They inform you right away about urgent/serious issues (like skin cancer). When it is all clear, they kick you down the line and deal with more pressing issues.

Therefore, the fact that you are waiting almost ten days for results makes me even more convinced your mole is 100% benign.

Oh, i would love that to be true. My mind says that bad results would get expressed back to the doc, while ok stuff can go slow. But then my mind says that bad stuff requires way more examination which takes much longer (can it take days to examine??), and that bad news takes longer.. its a horrible cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by lm48 View Post
    I don’t know how it works in the US but in the UK results can take up to 2 months, benign or not.

Both docs told me 1-2 weeks, but no one actually said business weeks or calendar. Then i google (i KNOW), and see people talk about results in one or two days, and i just worry even more.

Oh, i would love that to be true. My mind says that bad results would get expressed back to the doc, while ok stuff can go slow. But then my mind says that bad stuff requires way more examination which takes much longer (can it take days to examine??), and that bad news takes longer.. its a horrible cycle.

Both docs told me 1-2 weeks, but no one actually said business weeks or calendar. Then i google (i KNOW), and see people talk about results in one or two days, and i just worry even more.
    I have been down this road many times. I've had 11 spots or lumps taken off my skin, and I am still counting, lol!

Reading into how long it takes to get results is futile. Quick results can even mean bad news, b.c it means you were flagged as a priority case for the lab. Long results can mean some uncertainty about whether or not it's cancer, so it gets sent for second opinion (happened to my relative). Different labs might have different staffing, backlog, higher referrals from higher risk patients, the list goes on. Most likely, you know nothing about the lab, so why read into it? It sucks, but you have no choice but to be in limbo for the 10 days it usually takes! These things usually come back not cancer.

Well, i reached one doctor, and one mole benign, and one was moderately dysplastic that they want to excise completely (why didn't they call me??). Haven't reached the other office yet.

Edit: Going in to remove the rest today. I figure i would rather only have to heal once, vs keep going back. They said it wasn't precancerous, but still want to excise it to be sure. Guess i am glad he took it then..

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 ----------

And the other mole was nothing as well, so not too bad overall...
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 15-08-18 at 14:27.

Well, i reached one doctor, and one mole benign, and one was moderately dysplastic that they want to excise completely (why didn't they call me??). Haven't reached the other office yet.

Edit: Going in to remove the rest today. I figure i would rather only have to heal once, vs keep going back. They said it wasn't precancerous, but still want to excise it to be sure. Guess i am glad he took it then..

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 ----------

And the other mole was nothing as well, so not too bad overall...
    Knew they'd be fine, that's great news Shadow

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information