Thread: Been freaking out for the better part of two months

Been freaking out for the better part of two months

I'll start off by saying I've always speculated I've had IBS. For years now, I'll had constant random changes in bowel movements, the stool coming out in all shapes, sizes, consistencies. Loose, constipated, etc. But, middle of July I had one day where I was randomly VERY bloated and gassy...and kept going. A LOT. Since then, the bloating has gone away, but I've noticed I've been going to the toilet 3-4 times a day with usually looser movements. I used to only need to go 1-2 times most days, and at least a couple times a week I'd have nice, fully formed movements. I also started to notice mucus...BUT. I don't know if it's NEW or not because I only recently started to become hyperaware of what was coming out of me and really inspecting it. It's never a LOT of mucus, maybe a a few small shreds on the bottom of the toilet bowl, sometimes I can see bits of it on the stool if I have a particularly hard movement.

The good news...maybe....is that my body seems to at least stick to a schedule. Usually 5-30 minutes after I wake up, another about an hour later. Maybe another around noon, then around 3:00-5:00 PM there'll be another-sometimes maybe a final one later at night. I keep trying to reassure myself that if there's predictability maybe there's nothing to worry about...but, after following a certain internet personality's struggle with bowel cancer for the last four years up to his death a few months ago, I'm freaking out because I keep thinking about how some of his symptoms match up with my own. Going more often, loose movements, mucus. Pretty much everything except seeing blood (though every time I have a movement, I'm afraid to look back because 'what if there is this time...'). For reference, I'm 32. The person I referred to earlier was about 30 when he was diagnosed.

Am I overreacting? I can barely get motivated to do anything with my life for the last few weeks because I feel like I'll be handed a death sentence at some point in the near future.

Re: Been freaking out for the better part of two months

I think I know the person you're talking....but I think you have to remeneber! He did a history of the illness in his family. Sometimes that can pass down a gene that makes the illness more likely. I know I struggle with seeing something and suddenly I worry about it also! Like I'm struggling a bit with my issues with something like that at the moment. She she mentioned something she had wrong before her illness came to light- I'm like! I have that too!

Not to be tmi but I also have IBS and I find the more I think about my poo habits...the more I go!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahNah View Post
    I think I know the person you're talking....but I think you have to remeneber! He did a history of the illness in his family. Sometimes that can pass down a gene that makes the illness more likely. I know I struggle with seeing something and suddenly I worry about it also! Like I'm struggling a bit with my issues with something like that at the moment. She she mentioned something she had wrong before her illness came to light- I'm like! I have that too!

Not to be tmi but I also have IBS and I find the more I think about my poo habits...the more I go!
    I have a BIT of history of it...my grandmother's brother. I'm not sure what that kind of effect that has on my risk, though.

(I looked this up quickly, so I might not be 100% right! I'm also not a doctor or know that much about genetics! I just have basic knowledge from classes in school!) two of his grandparents had also been diagnosed with it. That's two chances for the genes to be passed down. While yes, you might share some genes with that great-uncle. It's not as direct...that being said! Genes sometimes have nothing to do with it!

Yet you said it seems to follow time a time-table? I don't think anything to serious could follow a timetable! Like I remember a few nights back. I got dizzy around 10pm/11 pm a few nights in a row. SO I would be SO stressed about that time. It would be like I was trying so hard not to be dizzy...It would nearly always happen! The least I think about it passed.

That being said, do see a doctor if you are that worried! There's no point in suffering by yourself when you can get the answer you need! It's about believing in that and not following into another worry!

Wishing you the best x

Quote Originally Posted by SarahNah View Post
    (I looked this up quickly, so I might not be 100% right! I'm also not a doctor or know that much about genetics! I just have basic knowledge from classes in school!) two of his grandparents had also been diagnosed with it. That's two chances for the genes to be passed down. While yes, you might share some genes with that great-uncle. It's not as direct...that being said! Genes sometimes have nothing to do with it!

Yet you said it seems to follow time a time-table? I don't think anything to serious could follow a timetable! Like I remember a few nights back. I got dizzy around 10pm/11 pm a few nights in a row. SO I would be SO stressed about that time. It would be like I was trying so hard not to be dizzy...It would nearly always happen! The least I think about it passed.

That being said, do see a doctor if you are that worried! There's no point in suffering by yourself when you can get the answer you need! It's about believing in that and not following into another worry!

Wishing you the best x
    I have a routine appointment for something unrelated on the 12th, will likely mention it then. Hoping for the best!

Thread Information