Thread: Very nervous about Calprotectin test results

Unhappy Very nervous about Calprotectin test results

I've had a very anxious few days after my gp ordered some blood and stool test on me, regarding what he thought what both he and I thought was ibs for a sometime.

I have finally got the results back and my bloods were completely fine but my stool had a raised calprotectin level of 70, which is juts above the average range.

I'm very nervous right now and I have had a referral but I can only afford a public referral at the moment so I mightn't even qualify for a referal due to my age as I am only 22.

has anyone else had similar experiences. my doctor didn't seem too concerned and we will redo the stool test at a later date, but i'm very worried

Re: Very nervous about Calprotectin test results

So, while i don't have experience with that test, I will say to keep in mind this: healthy people can still fall outside of the "average" range. The reference ranges are typically established to cover the 90-95% of the population, meaning healthy people can still test outside of it. Also remember that, with some rare exceptions, the body will have normal fluctuations and values can go out of whack only to return to normal on a retest (which is why retests are commonly ordered following an out of normal result).

Further (after doing some reading on what is being looked for with the test), if the result is high enough, more than once, to indicate something, it is most likely IBD (not great, but certainly not a life ender by any means). And at 22, that is about the only thing you would even find wrong with your system at this point.

So, by all means, follow up if you can (as treatment of IBD, if it IS even anything at all, will bring relief), but don't sweat the results either.

Re: Very nervous about Calprotectin test results

I had calprotectin test a few year ago and mine was about 90 I’m sure. I had a colonoscopy and it was nothing. Before the surgeon did the colonoscopy he said to me at the level he could almost guarantee he wouldn’t find anything and he was right.

I know it’s easy for me to say as i know when I was going through it I was terrified but it is most likely a red herring. The surgeon diagnosed me with ibs.

Thread Information