Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodgy stomach after returning from holiday

Re: Dodgy stomach after returning from holiday

Anyone..

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdawson View Post
    Update

So I had a stool sample and the doc said it's completely normal and no further action needed. I'm quite shocked to be honest as I thought(And hoped tbh) that a bacterial or parasitic infection would be seen so I could chalk it down to that and get something to clear it. Still have intermittent diahrea but the pain has kinda gone. A bit crampy sometimes though still.

What to do next?

Anyone?
    Actually it sounds like it's getting better. The tests showed nothing so perhaps it was just a bug you picked up and as you know, it takes a little time for things to return to normal.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Actually it sounds like it's getting better. The tests showed nothing so perhaps it was just a bug you picked up and as you know, it takes a little time for things to return to normal.

Positive thoughts
    Yeh maybe mate. It's just that I personally know 2 people that had done a stool sample test and nothing was found....only for an infection to be found after another test. These things are hard to detect.

Anyway I'm gonna enjoy myself this weekend and ride this out for a bit. Will get it checked out again at the hospital for tropical medicine if it persists.

So I returned 2 weeks ago from an amazing holiday from ghana and my stomach hasn't been right since. Diahrea (not all the time but it's there) and intermittent stomach cramps/pain. It started about 4 days into the holiday(basically the day before we left.)

I've got a doc appointment on tuesday and I know the likelihood of it being some sort of stomach parasite infection is probably quite high. Can you guys recommend any tips on what I can do to alliviete the symptoms.
    Sounds a bit like my experience at the end of my holiday in Africa. Started getting pretty brutal watery diarrhea the day before we left, and non-stop during the 11 hour trip home. It was intermittent after the worst days, kind of like yours, and completely stopped as of 3 weeks ago.

Despite being a massive hypochondriac, I didn't get it checked, but I didn't practice the best hand hygiene, so I assumed it was a bug that eventually went through me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypomania View Post
    Sounds a bit like my experience at the end of my holiday in Africa. Started getting pretty brutal watery diarrhea the day before we left, and non-stop during the 11 hour trip home. It was intermittent after the worst days, kind of like yours, and completely stopped as of 3 weeks ago.

Despite being a massive hypochondriac, I didn't get it checked, but I didn't practice the best hand hygiene, so I assumed it was a bug that eventually went through me.
    How long did yours last?

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 ----------

The Dr called me now confirming stool was normal(it was the receptionist the told me yesterday). He did say that it's a bug/infection. I was confused and asked how my stool was normal then...he stated they only test for the "serious" bugs/parasites so I probably have one they dont even test for.

You have nothing left to worry about. It's been confirmed by the stool sample.

Even the more serious infections are generally very easy to treat with a dose of mebendazole.

Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

How long did yours last?

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 ----------

The Dr called me now confirming stool was normal(it was the receptionist the told me yesterday). He did say that it's a bug/infection. I was confused and asked how my stool was normal then...he stated they only test for the "serious" bugs/parasites so I probably have one they dont even test for.
    I'd say mine lasted a week or a week and a half. It was really bad for the first few days, then my stools returned to normal for a bit, and then returned to diarrhea for the remainder.

Update
    So as of last week Wednesday the diahrrea stopped and my bowel movements have returned to normal.

The only thing that I've noticed now that has persisted is that my stomach rumbles more often then it did prior to the holiday. Shall I just ignore it? I heard digestive enzymes work well?
    Last edited by Kingdawson; 22-11-18 at 10:55.

Still making sounds. It does it a lot when I'm lying on my back....My anxiety makes me super focus in on it. My missus says everyone's stomach makes sounds if you focus in on it in a quiet room and I'm being silly.

Anxiety sucks because it always makes you focus in on everything.

Bump

So loose stool returned yesterday and stomach still making weird sounds. Today I was sure I saw a couple of things in my stool that resembled worms. Doc says another stool sample is needed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information