Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man near me on train had a surgical mask in his hand....will I get sick from him? Flu

Man near me on train had a surgical mask in his hand....will I get sick from him? Flu

Hi all-I have a big fear of the flu. I've gotten it the past two years, both times from either being in a crowded place or public transit. I was on the train today and heard a man cough, then saw he was holding a surgical mask, like he obviously hadn't put it on but should have. what's the liklihood of me getting sick?

I left my seat and moved to another car quickly, but i'm very concerned that he had a mask but wasn't wearing it.

Re: Man near me on train had a surgical mask in his hand....will I get sick from him?

Have you ever gone back and read through your prior post history? It would probably do you some good. Everything you need to know is right there.

Re: Man near me on train had a surgical mask in his hand....will I get sick from him?

To be fair, I have gotten the flu 2/2 for the past two years, despite a flu shot. last year was clearly because a lady who had been coming from the hospital where i go to school coughed on me.

How do you know that the man wasn't wearing the mask as he was scared of catching the flu himself ? People don't wear masks just to stop spreading things to other people - maybe he suffers from something like Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease or terrible asthma and needs to protect himself from the likes of you !!!

both times from either being in a crowded place or public transit
    You have absolutely NO WAY of knowing here you contracted a virus, at all, it could have been from post delivered by the postman, or a button you touched in a lift.

So, apparently you've had flu two years in a row - that's really unlucky you know, are you sure it was flu ? Anyway, if it was flu, seeing as you are here posting I guess you survived.

Quote Originally Posted by scaredpt View Post
    To be fair, I have gotten the flu 2/2 for the past two years, despite a flu shot. last year was clearly because a lady who had been coming from the hospital where i go to school coughed on me.
    To be more fair, you have a history of posting irrational and pointless fears. Do you have any idea how many germs you come into contact with on a day to day basis, without ever knowing? And if you do get the flu....so what. Lots of people do, you’ll survive.

Well he wasn't wearing the mask, so that's why i figured maybe he had the flu but just didn't put on the mask.

And yes, I was confirmed by testing, one year influenza A and one year B. I go to school at a hospital and take public transit multiple times a day.

....will I get sick from him?

Seriously, how can this question even be answered? Even if you stood next to someone coughing and spluttering with and obvious cold, how could we tell you if or if not you would contract it? Its impossible.

I've been out and about more than once with a surgical mask and cough, and I wasn't contagious. It was because I had been to the doctor about my cough, and they make everyone wear a mask if you have a cough. However, my cough is related to allergies, asthma, and acid reflux. Once I leave their office, there I am with this surgical mask, thinking "Boy, people must think I have something serious!"

If you're that prone to getting the flu have you considered getting the flu shot? I've work in the schools, so I get the shot each year. It doesn't always prevent the flu entirely, but it does make it milder.

How will we know if you'll get the flu? And why worry it's not life threatening is it. Just a bad cold. Grow up

You absolutely can't know where you picked up the viruses, it could be literally anywhere...at the supermarket for example. Anyway, what if we said to you - YES you've probably caught it - what can you do? I suspect strongly that the man wasn't carrying a mask because he had the flu, he was probably carrying it to protect himself !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information