Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Of course oral cancer fear fuels up on a Friday night

Re: Of course oral cancer fear fuels up on a Friday night

You can't just demand a second opinion or scan just because you want it. Nor should you be allowed one. You have a diagnosis by a trained professional, leave it at that. Let people who need a scan get one, and not be selfish.

Re: Save me from spiraling

Quote Originally Posted by Worrywart84 View Post
    So I’ve posted a couple times about my oral cancer fear. It’s flaring again hard.

I’ve been seen by my dentist twice and an oral surgeon—the oral surgeon visit last week confirmed the “gash” is caused by an autoimmune disorder (likely triggered by stress..lolllolll) that can cause red sores in the mouth. It’s called Oral Lichen Planus. I would be satisfied with this finding (he said he was confident by appearance alone and didn’t think a biopsy was necessary or worthwhile being as though the treatment the same—do nothing or do a topical steroid if it bothers me)...but 2% of people with OLP end up getting oral cancer. Although 2% seems low, it’s significantly higher than the average population.

So since this finding, my jaw and ear throb and ache all day long, and my cheek and gums sting. Like are you kidding me—-this sets in AFTER my appt? So my HA brain spirals and says “this is the onset of your oral cancer!” Or “they missed it and you’ve had oral cancer all along!”

Here’s what I’m doing to not spiral—

-remind myself that oral cancer at age 34 is rare.
    -remind myself that the spot has been there since June with no changes.
    -remind myself that I’ve had periodic flare ups of jaw/ear pain for a decade, likely TMJ and it tends to last awhile.
    -remind myself that between the first visit to the dentist and the second which was 2.5 months I felt no pain or discomfort and literally forgot about this and then the pain set it at the cleaning visit when I discovered the gash was still there and it has continued since then and has increased only AFTER the oral surgeon appt—psychosomatic? Is that really possible?
    -telling myself not to Google anything.

But I’m tempted to call and demand another appt or a second opinion or a CT scan of my face or something.
    Be honest.....would you believe a clear CT result if you got one?

AMoment, yes I really believe I would. I think my anxiety comes more from trusting human judgement than test results. So I get nervous when it’s just one guy and his opinion vs a biopsy result or scan result. But I get what you’re saying. I know my doubts are most likely unfounded.

Wilky, in the US, you actually can request a second opinion and request tests (whether they allow it or not is the preference of the doc of course) because I’m paying for it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by wilky44 View Post
    You can't just demand a second opinion or scan just because you want it. Nor should you be allowed one. You have a diagnosis by a trained professional, leave it at that. Let people who need a scan get one, and not be selfish.
    Well, yes we can and getting a second opinion or scan isn't "selfish".. it's not like there's a limited number.

Now.. does he need one? That's a different question.

Healthcare is very, very different in the US, It sucks, however I'm not sure socialized medicine is better.
    Last edited by NancyW; 06-12-18 at 05:31.

But it is 2 guys and their opinions so you have already had your second opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information