Thread: Pain when laying on left side: IBS?

Pain when laying on left side: IBS?

Hi everyone,

Just hoping some IBS sufferers can give some insight. I have never been formally dx'd with IBS, but I definitely suffer from IBS like symptoms when I'm going through periods of anxiety.

This morning I woke up feeling a bit bloated while laying on my back, rolled on to my left side, and felt a very mild pain going from the top of my abdomen down to my lower abdomen. The pain went from slightly burning to crampy, and I could then feel my bowels/gas moving around. I shifted to laying flat again, and it felt like I had trapped gas.

Went to use the bathroom, relieved myself, and laid on my left side, and the pain was gone, nor did I feel bloated anymore.

Has anyone experienced any similar pains from laying on their left side with IBS?

Re: Pain when laying on left side: IBS?

Hypo, for a minute I thought I was*losing my mind ..* I knew I replied to your post but my reply is gone. Here I see you posted on this board and anxiety central.**

Whew.*

Quote Originally Posted by Hypomania View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just hoping some IBS sufferers can give some insight. I have never been formally dx'd with IBS, but I definitely suffer from IBS like symptoms when I'm going through periods of anxiety.

This morning I woke up feeling a bit bloated while laying on my back, rolled on to my left side, and felt a very mild pain going from the top of my abdomen down to my lower abdomen. The pain went from slightly burning to crampy, and I could then feel my bowels/gas moving around. I shifted to laying flat again, and it felt like I had trapped gas.

Went to use the bathroom, relieved myself, and laid on my left side, and the pain was gone, nor did I feel bloated anymore.

Has anyone experienced any similar pains from laying on their left side with IBS?
    You know in Forrest Gump where he says “shit happens.” That slogan applies perfectly to the human body. Not everything is serious, or even has a physiological cause. Sometimes things just feel a certain way for no particular reason. The sooner you can accept that the better you’ll be.

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    You know in Forrest Gump where he says “shit happens.” That slogan applies perfectly to the human body. Not everything is serious, or even has a physiological cause. Sometimes things just feel a certain way for no particular reason. The sooner you can accept that the better you’ll be.
    "Shit happens" also applies perfectly to IBS haha.

Fair enough, but any time I feel something new and I'm in an HA state, I immediately connect it to my current health fear and spikes my anxiety even further.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypomania View Post
    The pain went from slightly burning to crampy, and I could then feel my bowels/gas moving around. I shifted to laying flat again, and it felt like I had trapped gas.

Frankly, it just sounds like you needed to go is all

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

IBS can cause splenic-flexure syndrome.

This sounds scary, but its TOTALLY benign. It's just that your bowel has a rather sharp kink (the splenic flexure) and when gas moves round here it can cause pain - most often quite severe.

This is nothing to worry about, especially as its relieved with a bowel movement.

I've had what you describe and its nothing!!!

Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Frankly, it just sounds like you needed to go is all

Positive thoughts
    I definitely did go, for quite a while...

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    IBS can cause splenic-flexure syndrome.

This sounds scary, but its TOTALLY benign. It's just that your bowel has a rather sharp kink (the splenic flexure) and when gas moves round here it can cause pain - most often quite severe.

This is nothing to worry about, especially as its relieved with a bowel movement.

I've had what you describe and its nothing!!!

Good luck
    That's good. It was just weird to experience it. I wouldn't say it was severe, but definitely painful when on my left side. I agree, the relief from a long bowel movement was reassuring. I just wanted to see if this was a normal or common thing with people!

Thread Information