Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotting and pain

Spotting and pain

Hello. I was a regular user of this site but have had the anxiety under control for a year but now it's back full force. The pet 6 months or so I've had pain and spotting a couple of days before my period and the same 8 days after. The blood is amongst mucous. So today I've had it and have been aching all day. Naturally my mind is convinced it's some form of cancer. I saw the doctor last week who examined me and told me I have cervical erosion which I was aware of from previous smears. I've googled and it's all telling me it's cancer. I'm sat here crying thinking it's my last Xmas with my kids. I have another appointment on Friday to see the doctor but I'm scared I'll be palmed off due to anxiety. It's not a great deal of blood but it's causing me pin and everything I've read says erosion shouldn't cause pain. Help.

Re: Spotting and pain

Is it brown spotting? It so, that is just your uterus expelling old blood from your previous period before starting a new cycle and after, same thing. It happens to me too.

Hiyer Charlie, how old are you?

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

It sounds, if you have young children, that you are still at 'reproductive age'. The types of changes you are describing could be a period rather than the cervical erosion, hard to tell without a gp checking/asking questions, but hormonal imbalances and some contraception can cause the types of periods you describe. Perimenopause also causes spotting before and after periods, and I have to say what you describe (with pink mucous at the end) sounds exactly like I have been the last few months (but I am 50 now).

I'm 35 and my youngest is 18 months. Not on any contraception but definitely not pregnant. For a while I've thought I've had an imbalance as my skin has gone dreadful and I'm very snappy and emotional. Just convinced I have cancer even though the gp says there are no red flags. I'm up to date with smears but I've read they can be wrong. I've had a recent blood test which shows borderline ferritin and low b12 x

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

The blood is red as in fresh but gp not concerned

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

I'm also expelling lots of clear mucous with it (like the ovulation stuff)

I'm honestly thinking it sounds hormonal......high oestrogen, in relation to progesterone would cause the sort of thing you are describing (with the additional skin and mood changes). Has a blood test been suggested for hormone levels - mind they are notoriously problematic as levels change daily, hourly, monthly and depends when they are taken.

I'm also expelling lots of clear mucous with it (like the ovulation stuff)
    Yep, I totally recognise this ! I am late perimenopause, very low progesterone (non ovulatory cycles) and in relation my oestrogen is high. Don't jump to 'C' go for the more obvious and likely reasons....an imbalance needs checking for at your age. Spotting after intercourse or between periods is more of a concern, hence probably why your doctor doesn't seem too fussed (especially if clear smear). Spotting before/and/or after the period, but connnected to it, is more likely hormonal. (I believe)

Ironically, I had a bit of spotting the other day similar to what you are describing. It was the day after (sorry tmi ahead) sex with my husband and it was pinkish, red. It lasted for 2 days then turned brown for another day and went away. I'm trying not to panic over it and praying the next time we *ahem* it doesn't happen again. I'm 34, my youngest is 10 and no birth control (hubby had a vasectomy) either and I'm also up to date on smears (we get them yearly here in the US). I get your fear.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply - it's much appreciated. I'm seeing the dr again tomorrow but I need to take on board what she says which has always been a battle for me in the past. I can feel my old habits rearing their heads again - the googling, the doubts, the catastrophizing - but as per usual I have the "what if I'm right this time" thought process going on.

No worries - let us know how you get on.

Hi Hun! I saw you posted on post the other day. I don't really have a proper answers but lots of things. My gp doesn't seem that worried about all of it! - I hope your doctor helps you more tomorrow x!

Just an update - saw gp and she wanted a thorough history of my period cycles. As the spotting happens repeatedly on more or less the same days of my cycle she's not concerned as this is symptomatic of hormones. She also had a look at my cervix and did an internal and says all feels normal. I've been put on the pill to see if my hormones will regulate that way. Now all I need to do is completely trust her ��. Thanks again for all your advice xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information