Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chest pain? Not sure what to do.

Re: Chest pain? Not sure what to do.

Better to be safe than gassy though...

Indeed.........but you know what I felt well embarrased about wasting NHS time, as did he. It was a doctor over reaction, then a paramedic over reaction, rather than us though. He is mega fit, and they said his heart rate was either worrying.....or he is mega fit (it was the latter LOL)

Aye, keep an eye on it Poppy, see how you are tomorrow I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    I have been coughing a fair amount. They did rule out a chest congestion, I'm thinking my ribs were hurting when I thought it was my lungs because my lungs were clear. I originally went to the doc because I have a history of having colds turn into bronchitis and/or pneumonia (last year I was given an inhaler) but I seem to be getting better aside from the rib pain so I don't think that's what it is this time.
    If you have been coughing a lot you have likely pulled the smaller muscles around your ribs. This can feel like someone has given you a good kicking! Every breath can mean you feel pain because the expansion is pushing on them. Sneezing or laughing will be something you don't want any of right now!

I thought the same as pulisa. If you were having breathing symptoms then I would be saying see your doctor because there is a possibility of what you have mentioned above.

I've had pneumonia, as an asthma sufferer, and I found the pain was quite bad. I woke up in the middle of the night with it and couldn't even sit up. My mum had pneumonia in recent years, elderly with asthma, and she couldn't get up without us lifting her and that was painful.

My mum also suffers from a lot of coughing in general, she has mild COPD now, which worsens when she has colds and obviously with chest infections. She finds she gets rib & back pain from this and it takes weeks to go.

But if you think you are having any symptoms of something like pneumonia your doctor would say be safe and let them check anyway. Breathing issues are always seen as a priority even if they turn out to be little of anything.

---------- Post added at 05:52 ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I KNOW !!!! LOL I get what you are saying. When this happened, he was moaning all day and I was so certain it was indigestion (which he had clearly never had before !). He eventually called the out of hours doctor and they sent an ambulance ! ECG's blood tests and so on......I was freaking at this point.....Ended up with a bottle of gaviscon. LOL
    But did he embarrass you further by letting out a belch that stopped everyone in the A&E? Basically sounding like the T Rex on Jurassic Park. Then announce he felt much better

I guess he's reached that age where dinner is followed by a Gaviscon chaser?

If he ever complains about bowel blockage it might be wise to check if he had a great big plate of sprouts earlier. Again, one big T Rex impression and all is well again

My two cents, not to be taken as medical advice, of course.

In 2013, in the midst of a kind of nervous breakdown after my friend's sudden death, I thought for sure I was having chest pains, and couldn't breathe. Went to the ER, spent hours, took EKG, Chest XRays. All Normal, but because I am a fat diabetic in my 40's they wanted to inspect further, so they ended up doing a heart catheterization on me a week later. Guess what? No problems found at all. It was my anxiety, and I was put on meds for it at that point, after spending thousands. Now, maybe you wouldn't have to spend thousands if you are somewhere other than the USA, but you get my point. I went through a lot.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't check it out, because everyone is different and you never know, I guess. I suppose you have to just go with your own instincts here...none of us can tell you with certainty what you should or should not do in this case.

I wanted to come in and update - chest pain is nearly all gone and was definitely costochondritis. Cue the relief.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Yay!

Very good news! You didn't want that hanging over you in the run up to Christmas.

Glad to hear you are doing better, Poppy!

Another piece of evidence for future sessions when kicking the anxiety monster in the nuts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information