Thread: Scrape on Ankle-Wet/Moist

Scrape on Ankle-Wet/Moist

Hello everyone,

A day ago or so, my ankle started to itch really badly and I scratched it with other foot. Yesterday and today, I have noticed that there is a scrape that has formed. It is wet and moist. I don't know if this means if it is healing or if it is infected. That area is covered when I wear socks during the day. So I don't know If I need to wear an additional bandage on the area. It doesn't really hurt except on contact.
    Do scrapes like this eventually scab or do they stay wet and moist?

Edit: I have attached a few pictures so everyone can see what I am talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by THoltz; 17-10-18 at 13:25.

Re: Scrape on Ankle-Wet/Moist

I'm not a doctor or nurse, but giving advice based on what I would do with a child or myself if I had this scrape.

The clear fluid forming on the area where you've lost the skin is probably fluid containing white blood cells. This help fight infection and cleans the area. (A green or yellow pus looking fluid is a different matter, but from what you are saying that isn't a problem with your skin scrape.) It sounds like you have just taken the skin surface off, and in that case you probably wouldn't get bleeding and just this light weeping. That clear fluid will dry and crust over, forming a protective layer. However, you've got to allow a lack of friction in order to let it do that, otherwise it can stay damp as it keeps allowing more fluid to weep.

If it were me, I would spray it with some wound disinfectant - let it dry to the air and leave uncovered entirely to form a scab. ( if theres not much blood coming off it, then the scab will be a cleary yellow type of looking one) If its impossible for you to have nothing on it or touching it, like socks, them stick over something that is entirely breathable and light - breathability is the key to let it dry.

If it becomes red, swollen, hot or 'gunky looking' then seek some advice.

Here is what it currently looks like. It isn’t bleeding but rather it is itchy and wet/oozy.

What does everyone think? I hope it’s not serious. I think I may have scratched the skin off because of a bite there or something
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by THoltz; 17-10-18 at 19:56.

Hi, I don't wish to sound impolite - but did you read my reply above and follow the advice ?

Is it my imagination, or has it become significantly larger since the first picture you posted ? Are you entirely sure that was just from scratching it from a bite ? its just that looks like rather an excessive injury, with skin removal, from just scratching..

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Hi, I don't wish to sound impolite - but did you read my reply above and follow the advice ?

Is it my imagination, or has it become significantly larger since the first picture you posted ? Are you entirely sure that was just from scratching it from a bite ? its just that looks like rather an excessive injury, with skin removal, from just scratching..
    I did but I am at work now. I will take care of it when I get home. I will wash and put some antibacterial cream on it.

The first picture I took was from a farther away distance and the second one was close up.

It seems there is some scanning along the edges.

Scrape on Ankle-Wet/Moist

It looks like a scrape that will heal in time. Carys gave you excellent advice to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    It looks like a scrape that will heal in time. Carys gave you excellent advice to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok thank you.
    I will take a shower and clean it and then put some Neosporin on it.

Thread Information