Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: one thing after the other....

Re: one thing after the other....

I suggested weaning just for your own anxiety concerns. I drink coffee every day and get a headache by midday if I haven't had any! Anything habitual can give you a bit of a withdrawal, so since you're already anxious it would make sense to ease out of it if that's what you want.

The mornings are always so hard for me when my anxiety is high. I've read about it, and it's common because cortisol levels rise to wake us up, but that can also cause anxiety in some people. The best thing to do is get right out of bed (easier said than done!)

What book are you reading? I'm always looking for something but so bad at choosing!

Cofo, once you're stuck on de-caf it doesn't really matter what temperature it is, it's all so much glitter on a turd

just updating to let y'all know i haven't fallen off the face of the earth.
    had a few good days. had some stresses though....my son got windburn last weekend on his nose/cheeks from being at a track meet all day. it was really red. i didn't think much about it, but on wednesday evening i noticed his nose was swollen, lumpy and had tiny oozing blisters on it. did some neosporin, and watched it the next day.but by friday morning it was a little worse, so i took him to the dr. he has impetigo: basically a staph infection. i'm proud of myself that we didn't run to the dr on thursday, but i wish i had. not because of danger, but because it would've been a day sooner for the prescription antibiotic ointment. he's had this a few times throughout his life. it really sux because it's on his handsome face, and it will be a gross scab before it's all over. :/

haven't pushed myself too much on the food thing. i am just too scared. i did eat something at tennis, which i usually never do, even though it was sitting out. it was still cold, but normally i would just not eat the food at all. small victory. this week is a really busy week, i have something every night, so i likely will not be testing myself this week.
    but, we leave for the beach for spring break on saturday. i have been dreading this since we booked it. we are going with 7 families and their teen boys. 5 of the couples and all of the boys are staying in a really big penthouse condo, and 2 couples (us and another family) are staying in a separate unit, same building.
    my son will be in the big condo without me. and i keep thinking how the fridge in that condo cannot possibly hold food for that many people and keep it all cold. and so many people opening and closing it, there is no way it will work right. that's one concern. #2, is that several of the moms are going to make lasagna and freeze it and bring it down to eat the first night. well, it's like a 7 hour drive, and i am trying not to call all of them and make sure they know that the lasgnas have to be kept cold the whole time. what if they think they can just stick a frozen lasagna in their car and drive 7 hours with it?
    #3 the bed bug fear is alive and well. i always check our hotel/condos for bedbugs before we settle in. i'm not sure that i'll be able to do that for the room that my son will be in.
    #4 - lastly, and this is really a circumstantial fear, not an ocd thing. the police on the beaches(panhandle florida)have decided that spring breakers have gotten out of hand the past few years. so, instead of just giving tickets for underage drinking, they are actually arresting them and they are having to spend the night in jail, go to court, mugshot, etc. while i don't condone underage drinking, i think that arresting them is extreme. that aside, my son doesn't drink, and i know he won't. he has no interest. he is a track/cross country athlete, and has a spot on a D1 college team starting in the fall. it's a BIG DEAL. it's his dream. he's a really responsible kid. anyway, i heard from many parents that kids were getting arrested and it was so crazy down there blah blah blah. i have always told him that he could request a breathalyzer if he wasn't drinking, to prove it. but, i read that you can actually get arrested for just being around alcohol if you are underage. one girl that got arrested said she was not drinking but her friend was and she got arrested because the cooler had alcohol in it. it's called constructive possession of alcohol. what the f? so, if you are at a party and the cops show up, they basically just arrest everyone. they don't sift through and determine who was drinking and who wasn't. they don't have to.
    so, now, my son and i both are dreading the whole situation. if he gets arrested he'd lose his spot on the college team. we have to go. so, i'm just picturing this whole beach thing to be 40 million kids drinking and them all getting arrested. anyway... that's where i'm at.

i've got a good busy week of track meets and tennis and my sister coming in town to go to a concert with me on my birthday thursday night. so, i'm looking forward to it.
    good distractions leading up to the trip - we leave saturday.

thanks for listening...as always, i welcome your support, thoughts and advice on how to manage all of this.
    xo

Have you ever discussed control issues with your therapist? Obviously control plays a big role in any OCD/anxiety type behaviors, but you seem especially affected.
    Specifically the part about lasagna....I’m assuming your friends are in their 40s/50s who have successfully raised children of their own. Do you really think that they don’t know you can’t keep lasagna unchilled in a hot car for 7 hours????

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    Have you ever discussed control issues with your therapist? Obviously control plays a big role in any OCD/anxiety type behaviors, but you seem especially affected.
    Specifically the part about lasagna....I’m assuming your friends are in their 40s/50s who have successfully raised children of their own. Do you really think that they don’t know you can’t keep lasagna unchilled in a hot car for 7 hours????
    I sort of agree with this, because yes look at that last sentence, it makes perfect sense. I also understand your fear. But maybe drop it, it’s one less thing to worry about. Let your son eat the lovely homemade lasagne worry free.
    The fridge will be fine, they are built to withstand being opened and shut a fair few times.

I think you need to work on your joint worry about the arrest though. It’s not fair to share this with your son. You are going on what sounds like a fantastic holiday, it’ll be what you make it.

I share so many of your worries, I really understand your thought process. But dig deep here, find ways to relax & keep yourself calm.

Well done for trying the food at tennis. Enjoy your birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I sort of agree with this, because yes look at that last sentence, it makes perfect sense. I also understand your fear. But maybe drop it, it’s one less thing to worry about. Let your son eat the lovely homemade lasagne worry free.
    The fridge will be fine, they are built to withstand being opened and shut a fair few times.

I think you need to work on your joint worry about the arrest though. It’s not fair to share this with your son. You are going on what sounds like a fantastic holiday, it’ll be what you make it.

I share so many of your worries, I really understand your thought process. But dig deep here, find ways to relax & keep yourself calm.

Well done for trying the food at tennis. Enjoy your birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i am surprised at how many people don't know much about food safety one mom was telling me that her son had left their meat tomato sauce(spaghetti sauce)out all night, and the next day when she was throwing it in the garbage, her husband told her that was silly that it would be fine to eat because they would heat it up. :O no. just no.
    anyway, yes, control is a huge issue, and i've realized it much more lately. oddly, the reason that i realized it, was because when i DON'T have control, i actually have less anxiety. For example, if i go to a restaurant, i don't worry much about it....that's why i'll eat quacomole there so, i'm just forced to let go, and it kinda feels good. so, i will have to do the same thing for the lasagnas.
    something to ponder....

as far as the arrest goes, i'm not pushing that anxiety on to my son. he doesn't have anxiety about it. he knows it's actually somewhat of a reality. he's heard the same stories. i've talked to him about it, and he knows that he's responsible, and that he may have to choose to forgo a house party, even if his friends are going, because his spot on the team means more to him then the party. it's up to him to make the right choices. i just hope he isn't in the wrong place at the wrong time.

my therapist is out of town for a month. ugh.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Quote Originally Posted by Elen View Post
    Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen
    nevermind. this sux. i am not going to have just one freaking thread. that's ridiculous.

It is the best way for people to get a whole picture of your concerns.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by cofo View Post
    nevermind. this sux. i am not going to have just one freaking thread. that's ridiculous.
    You actually have 32 threads!

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread Information