Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Social distancing

Re: Social distancing

Quote Originally Posted by Panicattacka View Post
    I must admit, I have been surprised by just how well your PM has handled this. I didn't have a very good impression of her before all this, I wrongly assumed she was just another careerist globalist politician who was a bought and paid for puppet, trying to throw open NZ to the whole world with virtually no border control. I'm glad to say I was very wrong in my assessment of her, she actually is a patriotic leader who has acted quickly and wisely to protect her country. Well done her!
    Not all politicians are like Boris Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Not all politicians are like Boris Johnson.
    As much as I agree that Boris Johnson got it wrong in the beginning, you have to remember that he’s not a scientist. He was advised, in my opinion, very poorly by the scientists and epidemiologists around him. They got their modelling completely wrong and for God only knows what reason advised him against routine testing.

However, not many nations have got it right with this pandemic. I mean, even the world health organisation have been guilty of misinformation and fumbled data. It’s been a really poor show thus far from those who really should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    As much as I agree that Boris Johnson got it wrong in the beginning, you have to remember that he’s not a scientist. He was advised, in my opinion, very poorly by the scientists and epidemiologists around him. They got their modelling completely wrong and for God only knows what reason advised him against routine testing.

However, not many nations have got it right with this pandemic. I mean, even the world health organisation have been guilty of misinformation and fumbled data. It’s been a really poor show thus far from those who really should know better.
    What I would say about Johnson would probably get me banned; but not only was he badly advised, like the Nectarine Nero across the pond he tried to brush this off, minimise the impact on the stock markets and refuse offers of help from the EU because of Brexit dogma. Johnson first, little people later.

Germany has done very well in this matter by contrast but hey, we won two world wars and one world cup don'tcha know

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Agreed. I can't find some of this searching Google other than a post of another forum. I suspect much of this has been written a certain way and doesn't reflect a long term view by the Dutch, more what they are doing now.
    It's also worth noting that journalists will ALWAYS print partial quotes out of context. The Dutch PM may well have said 'SD is here to stay....for the time being'.

Etc.

Now this is interesting, and follows on from the post by Gary_A:

https://reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21P1VF

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Haha yes I love her motherly touch while showing tough leadership. She put a downloadable Easter egg on the Govt site for NZ kids to colour and display in their windows at home, she included her email address so they could send her photos of their eggs. She and her partner Clarke Gayford have a 21 month old daughter, so she leads a very full, active life. She turns 40 this year
    It shows a lovely side when they do this with kids. We are used to ivory tower types who just trot out meaningless phrases.

You comes across as actually caring about people doing something like this rather than staying remote.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It shows a lovely side when they do this with kids. We are used to ivory tower types who just trot out meaningless phrases.

You comes across as actually caring about people doing something like this rather than staying remote.
    Couldn't agree more

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    It's also worth noting that journalists will ALWAYS print partial quotes out of context. The Dutch PM may well have said 'SD is here to stay....for the time being'.

Etc.
    Exactly. He might have been asked when he was changing his car to reply 2022 and some journalist cut that out and pasted it to his earlier remarks about SD.

So it won’t go on until 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    So it won’t go on until 2022?
    At the level that we’re currently operating at? No, I don’t see it going on that long. However, periods of changes may be necessary as they work to get a vaccine developed or if “clusters” of illness break out after the peak is done and over. But I don’t see how it’s possible to continue this level of distancing and business closures into 2022 with no break.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information