Thread: Out of the blue panic!!

Out of the blue panic!!

I started a new job a few weeks ago and I was sitting at work today, feeling totally normal, when I happened to pick up my phone to look at a text and my hand felt funny and couldn't grip the phone. This isn't totally out of the ordinary because I have cubital tunnel syndrome and my pinky and ring finger get wonky sometimes - especially when I've been on the computer all day. But, for some reason it sparked an immediate panic attack! I felt dizzy and my face started twitching and my heart started pounding and I was sweating. I went to the bathroom to just get out of the office for a minute, but I didn't really help. I texted my husband to come bring me my Ativan and then I told my boss I was going to grab some food. Thankfully he said to just head out because it's a holiday weekend.

I hadn't eaten much today because my stomach was feeling kind of funny this morning, so I'm guessing it was a combo of the hand thing plus my blood sugar being kind of low. I came home, took an ativan, drank some water, ate something and now I'm feeling a but better - but ughhh. I haven't had a panic attack in a LONG time. I'm only one of three people in my office, so it's not like I can hide out of be unassuming either. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again!

Re: Out of the blue panic!!

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Thankfully you made it through, and it was really nice of your boss to let you go home!

I get a little...odd and tend to be shakier and more prone to panic type stuff when my blood sugar drops too. It's difficult because my eating habits are sporadic and not always the healthiest, especially now as I don't have a kitchen in my home, so I really have to remember to eat and I take a multivitamin that hopefully fills in the gaps.

Take care of yourself this weekend and hopefully you get to feeling better!
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    I hadn't eaten much today because my stomach was feeling kind of funny this morning, so I'm guessing it was a combo of the hand thing plus my blood sugar being kind of low. I came home, took an ativan, drank some water, ate something and now I'm feeling a but better - but ughhh. I haven't had a panic attack in a LONG time. I'm only one of three people in my office, so it's not like I can hide out of be unassuming either. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again!
    As you can see from your own post, panic attacks don't happen 'out of the blue'. You know why it happened and the best thing is to acknowledge that it happened but that you dealt with it, and really well I'd say. However, using dialogue like your dramatic post title, 'Out of the blue panic!!' sends a different message to your brain which makes repeat attacks more likely..

You're right Nora - there was definitely a series of reasons I was more susceptible. I just started this job a few weeks ago and really love it. I haven't worked outside my home since before I had anxiety. My anxiety started when my daughter was born and I stopped working then to stay home with her and then did freelance writing from home ever since until starting law school three years ago. So, I've never had to worry about panic attacks while in an office setting. I had one panic attack in class over the last three years and simply got up and left, no big deal. I think the moment I felt a bit funny yesterday I was instantly triggered with all the fear of having a panic attack at work, which only made it worse, obviously! It's been 8 years since I've had to be away from my home and "put together" for so many hours at a time! I think I also have subconsciously been worrying about getting anxiety at work ever since I started so my brain was primed for it. I had been nervous about going in that morning because of the upset stomach (my husband and I both ate something that didn't sit well), then the no eating because I didn't want my stomach to get upset again, etc... it was a perfect storm. Plus, my cubital tunnel is worse from sitting at a computer all day. I have a long weekend now so I can settle and rest my hand and get more sleep, etc... and should be feeling much better for work on Tuesday.

This is also the preliminary start of a completely new career (I'm 39). I still have another three semesters of school to go, but my course load is winding down. In the fall, in addition to still working where I am now, I'll be doing a clinical program where I'm actually acting as an attorney under supervision for people seeking exoneration (claims of being wrongly convicted). It's SO MUCH responsibility and there's all kinds of pent up anxiety that I'm not ready, etc... So - rest, nutrition, deep breaths!

I think the moment I felt a bit funny yesterday I was instantly triggered with all the fear of having a panic attack at work, which only made it worse, obviously!
    If you've ever had a panic attack at work before - or had one in a similar situation - your amygdala will remember it. This is how phobias are created..

Example: When I was a child, I was sick after eating beans in a café in London. I probably had a tummy bug or it was anxiety of being somewhere strange - but my brain connected it to the beans which meant that I couldn't look at(or smell) a baked bean without having a panic attack (and for many years after)

I think I also have subconsciously been worrying about getting anxiety at work ever since I started so my brain was primed for it. I had been nervous about going in that morning because of the upset stomach (my husband and I both ate something that didn't sit well), then the no eating because I didn't want my stomach to get upset again, etc... it was a perfect storm. Plus, my cubital tunnel is worse from sitting at a computer all day. I have a long weekend now so I can settle and rest my hand and get more sleep, etc... and should be feeling much better for work on Tuesday.
    You have the ability to think rationally. The above is proof of this. With work, you can get yourself to a point where this will be your response instead of fear..

So - rest, nutrition, deep breaths!
    Absolutely. You've got this!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    If you've ever had a panic attack at work before - or had one in a similar situation - your amygdala will remember it. This is how phobias are created..

Example: When I was a child, I was sick after eating beans in a café in London. I probably had a tummy bug or it was anxiety of being somewhere strange - but my brain connected it to the beans which meant that I couldn't look at(or smell) a baked bean without having a panic attack (and for many years after)
    I have a fear of flying - that was the only anxiety I ever had before having a baby (and that was triggered by a bad flying experience). I started bringing this tea on planes called "Calm" that was supposed to be especially soothing. The last time I few was 2014. A few months ago I bought a tea called "Breath Deep" by the same brand and didn't realized until I took the first sip that it was the same one with a new name. It's meant to be calming but I instantly got a surge of adrenaline because I connected it with being on a plane! Our brains are really amazing, even when they are sabotaging us!

It's meant to be calming but I instantly got a surge of adrenaline because I connected it with being on a plane! Our brains are really amazing, even when they are sabotaging us!
    Erin, this is a really great example of how the amygdala works. Your brain made the connection between this drink and fear - as in - you triggering your fight or flight response because you were scared on the plane. Once you understand this, it removes the fear factor because you know why it's happening and that your brain thinks it is protecting you - just like every other time you've triggered the stress response. Ultimately, fight or flight (as horrible as the symptoms and sensations are) is about protection. It's your personal bodyguard; its job is to keep you alive..

Thread Information