Thread: On Citalopram for 3 weeks and still anxious

On Citalopram for 3 weeks and still anxious

Hi everyone,
    I just started taking 20mg Citalopram for Anxiety/Depression.
    I had a very difficult day today and feel pretty hopless.
    I don't sleep well at night and get bad hot flashes that wakeme up, I have poor apetite although, my apetite seems to have improved in the last couple of days.
    Sometimes I just feel sad and like I wnat to cry but just can't.
    I don't know what to do with myself. This morning I had an awful feelign in my chest, it felt like bad anxiety mixed with extreme sadness. I called my GP who saw me today and decided to up my dose to 30mg for 2 weeks and then 40mg.
    I am scared that I won't get better ever. I feel like crap.

Re: On Citalopram for 3 weeks and still anxious

Citalopram can take a good few weeks to work I'm afraid, definitely more than three. At least your appetite improving is one step in the right direction. I know it's hard but you really do need to do need to try to be patient and give it time. Hopefully you will start to feel better very soon.

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Its difficult to focus ahead when the anxiousness will not allow you to be optimistic. When I initially started I suffered all the same and felt like there was no hope, I persevered with different dose levels untill I settled at 40mg after 9 or 10 weeks. It takes time, stick it out - this site gave me a lot of re-assurance during a rough time. I wish you all the best.

LK

Quote Originally Posted by JaneC View Post
    Citalopram can take a good few weeks to work I'm afraid, definitely more than three. At least your appetite improving is one step in the right direction. I know it's hard but you really do need to do need to try to be patient and give it time. Hopefully you will start to feel better very soon.
    Thank you,
    I guess I do need to calm down and keep busy so time goes by faster instead of dwelling in it. I went out to my boys swimming practice and chatted with some of the moms and that mademefeel better. Your comments on this forum also give me a lot of reassurance. Thank you all

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    Its difficult to focus ahead when the anxiousness will not allow you to be optimistic. When I initially started I suffered all the same and felt like there was no hope, I persevered with different dose levels untill I settled at 40mg after 9 or 10 weeks. It takes time, stick it out - this site gave me a lot of re-assurance during a rough time. I wish you all the best.

LK
    Thank you LK. You are right, I get thinking like that a lot and I just end up focusing on the hard time I am having right now. I need to look forward to the future with more hope instead. Your post has been very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by chicaplatense1 View Post
    Thank you,
    I guess I do need to calm down and keep busy so time goes by faster instead of dwelling in it. I went out to my boys swimming practice and chatted with some of the moms and that mademefeel better. Your comments on this forum also give me a lot of reassurance. Thank you all

Well done, I think trying to keep busy, if you are able to, is absolutely the best way to go about it x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Thread Information